seed potatoes HELP!!

• 5 Replies

katiekate

seed potatoes HELP!!
« on: February 20, 2011, 16:38 »
Hello,

I'm new here and fear for my seed potatoes..

They've spent about a month in brown bags that were in a carrier bag in my room. They have spouted already (whiteish purple at 2 inches)  and are fairly soft, a little fluffy, and have a lot of thin white roots! The bag is moist..

Are they doomed? Should I give them up for a lost cause and replace them? I have an allotment and don't want to waste space planting pots that want do well!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!

bigben

Re: seed potatoes HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 16:41 »
I would be tempted to rub off the chits you have so far. It is not too late to start again. Cool room with some sun - you are aiming for purple or dark chits. Avoid dark which leads to thin chits.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 16:44 »
bigben beat me to it, I had the following post prepared, which backs him up, so I'll do it anyway......

They need to be somewhere light, cool and airy, not sealed up in a plastic bag where they can't breath.

Rub the existing chits off as they will be weak and they should shoot again. Get them set up in a tray where the conditions are as above.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 17:04 »
Hi and welcome

Sounds to me that not only have they been kept too warm and in the dark but if the bag is damp as well  they are fighting an up hill battle.

Doing as bigben & DD suggests should work, assuming all the eyes in them havent chitted already and the seed potato doesn't just rot through damp.

Providing they are now kept dry I reckon you will be alright.

Last year we had some of our best sized spuds from the odd few that I had missed digging out the ground in 2009. Yours cannot have got damper than those ones did being in the ground overwinter.

Surprisingly, they came up later than the ones planted in 2010 but they soon caught up and gave good clean yield.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 21:29 »
i endorse all of the above mine camp on top of the kitchen cupboards and do fine up there and i remeber someone on the forums saying if you have two samll ones   :blush: then plant em together

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 21:40 »
Rub the strouts off and keep them cool and light. Maybe spray them with a light mist of water every day to see if you can re-hydrate them, or al least stop them getting more shrivelled. Do not get them too wet or they may rot.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by Ballymulvey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2022, 09:05
by Hampshire Hog
xx
seed potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2020, 13:02
by Aidy
xx
seed potatoes

Started by oldman65 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2016, 08:24
by Tom Parrot

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.