Allotment layout

• 26 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment layout
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 22:24 »
There are lots of things you can still grow Nirm, even at this stage - lots of beans, some carrots, beetroot and all sorts of other things - this site has a very useful sowing calendar, which you might find helpful.

Dazzer

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 17:28 »
 :D

I'm in the same boat as Nirm - just taken on a plot and was wondering the same.  Thanks for the advice.

Chrysalis

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 21:34 »
I'd second earth paths anyhow as they are such low maintenance and look fab alongside the growing things. and it doesnt matter about treading it down as you are not going to grow there. And the paths dont need to be that wide, so wont take up much space

My neighbour's plot has grass paths and the plot does look phenomenal BUT the time it take him to mow and then strim the edges....I tried the grass approach on a small area but went back to earth.

And it is exciting - keep that wonderful enthusiasm. It's great fun.

Just remember your wellies if  (ha ha, I mean when) the rain keeps coming! ;)

We have raised beds, but as individual baskets with pretty wicker crates on a gravel area 5x5 metres.  Takes loads of watering(even with the rain), but is easy to get round and avoids digging and too much bending... some baskets are 50cmx50, others 30cm high, some 20 and others 10 in varying dimensions... looks great, but we've had to make more areas for "proper" veg growing as it all became too addictive. even bought a greenhouse this year.... so beware!!  :D

Kirpi

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 23:56 »
Seven year rotation using 7 beds which are 10 x 4 feet with 1 foot paths in between - just enough to walk on with wheelbarrow access on the communal path which is wider.

I never walk on the beds as they are narrow enough to reach into the middle from the sides and my paths are earth. My beds get forked over every seven years when I harvest potatoes so the soil gets turned over every seven years.

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 13:39 »
I have grass paths between my beds and they are a pain as I have to mow them often. How do you do and keep earth paths without weeds growing?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 13:43 »
Just hoe new weeds, eventually the soil gets trodden/baked hard and not many weeds grow through.

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 15:00 »
Presume I kill off the grass first - by using cut-open compost or animal feed bags and spread over area? I can use a systemic weedkiller on first, then instantly cover so my cats don't get to it.

lizt

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 15:50 »
we measured my smallish plot out and divided it into four using string to roughly mark out the four 'beds' then i grow on a rotation system.

pea/beans/sweet corn
potatoes
roots/onions
brassicas

the odd bit of ground next to the shed we planted a self fertilizing apple tree and have a small strawberry patch

whats that saying.... keep it simple ... it has to be for me, i get easily confused! ha ha

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 16:16 »
Presume I kill off the grass first - by using cut-open compost or animal feed bags and spread over area? I can use a systemic weedkiller on first, then instantly cover so my cats don't get to it.

I killed all of my grass with cardboard and odd bits of weed control fabric left in place till the grass died.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 19:00 »
If you apply a systemic weedkiller then you should leave the plant uncovered for a couple of weeks in order to let the chemicals do their thing.  Covering it up immediately stops photosynthesis, and therefore the chemicals cannot move round the plant to kill it.

I got some heavy duty weed membrane and use that over my paths.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 19:44 »
You have to watch everyone posting here, Nirm, because when I started, I was ALWAYS going to advocate standard rows and no paths, but the incessant reminders of better ways from all these good people made me change over completely, and we now have 52 indvidual beds, all roughly 8' x 4', and just love 'em!

The paths are a bit of a pain, but I've been digging out the edges on them for the last few weeks, and it makes strimming and mowing so much easier, as well as comfortable for lying down (if I want to), for weeding etc!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 19:46 by Growster... »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 20:58 »
I have a centre path and then a traditional cottage style growing method... just have lines of veg growing and not in actual beds.. between some of the areas / rows I have put down scaffold planks to stand on so not fixed paths..   I have set out the rows of bigger plants like peas and beans etc to 3' rows and for the onions, strawbs, sweetcorn etc. like I have grown in clumps of multiple rows spaced closer together.

IMG_0423 _rs.jpg
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 21:02 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Allotment Layout

Started by mifty12 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:17
by goose
clip
Allotment layout

Started by Larissa68 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2021, 19:58
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
pea layout

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 22:31
by DD.
xx
Layout

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 23:38
by rictic

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 35 queries.