new allotment 1st days work today

• 12 Replies

spudtastic

new allotment 1st days work today
« on: March 28, 2009, 16:31 »
hi all been to allotment today and began hoeing the soil
not sure what to do with the weeds?
once ive ran the hoe just under the surface i notice it severs the weeds and they become loose. am i ment to pick them all up and get rid of them? some1 told me its not neccisary as once severed from the roots they will just die and dissapear?

also if i am meant to remove them are they suitable material to add to the compost heap im planning on starting?
while im at it the local council doing a deal 20quid for a plastic compost bin thingy rrp 50quid are these worth having as i see most others at the allotment are just using a bodged up open box made from pallets?

cheers for the help and happy gardening
seeing is believing, toking's misbehaving

paintedlady

Re: new allotment 1st days work today
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 17:00 »
I prefer my pallet compost heaps - they don't blow away in the wind into someone else's plot and seem to have loads more space than the plastic dalek things (and free!) ::) 

If the weeds are still in the baby germination seed leaf stage, the hoe method is perfectly fine and yes, you can leave them alone - this works better if the surface is dry and there has been no rain so the disturbed plants can't re-root successfully.  If they do, give them another hoe (and another) - eventually they'll get the message.  It's when the roots get established that they will need digging up, such as comfrey (if in the wrong bed  ;) - split and make a permanent bed for them if you want to keep), dandelion and other perennial weeds

Larger ones like annual weeds (preferably without the seed head  ;)) can be composted, but perennial weeds and things like couch grass or bindweed should be killed off (drown or dessicate) before putting in the composter.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

spudtastic

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 17:23 »
cheers paintedlady,
your reply is very usefull so thanks for that ;)
i will make a pallet compost heap then as i wouldnt like the thought of it blowing away and potetially damaging someone elses plot.
will pop up again tommorow and give it another once over then again next week and i reckon by then i can get some seed potatoes in.
talking of that i saw on internet a vid of peeps cutting the seed pots into chunks but i was under the impression you put 1 in each hole? confused now! any ideas on the correct way
regards

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 17:43 »
this was a method used especially during WW2 when there was a shortage of seed potatoe so it was a way of multiplying availability  (even peelings will sprout especially in the compost bin  :blink:).  I have done it in the past but since taking on an allotment, I wouldn't want to risk the potatoes getting diseased or rotting and seed potatoe isn't that expensive

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28 »
Hello  Spudtastic.

The plastic bins are fine.  I've got three and they work just fine.  They have their drawbacks.  You just need to make sure they don't get too dry.  Most of the matter that you add to the bin should be OK to keep moisture levels good.  Every now and again add a couple of pints of water if it gets to looking a little dry or dusty.

You also a need a house brick to put on the lid as, when solid wind gets under them it will pop the lid right off.  Of course if you don't bury the bin deep enough (4 or 5 inches is fine and tread down well) a good wind will pop the whole thing off your plot and land it rolling sideways over your neighbours plot.  Because of the cone shape and having no base the contents doesn't really weigh the bin down.  They just keep rolling around until someone stops the little devils.   :blush:

This is one of mine in action.  It is usually buried in a few inches but this had been emptied and it was late summer.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/10/somewhere-village-is-missing-its-idiot.html
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39 »
Wait a minute?  New Allotment?  First days work?  Why are you not struggling with six feet high brambles and a low level jungle?    :D

There's a tradition here of our new allotment holders toiling for weeks before they even find their soil.  Many write in contemplating hiring  machinery to clear their plots and some ask about county by-laws regarding slash and burn techniques.

My first post was to ask about the long term effect of Napalm on a neglected plot and if there was alternative organic air strike available.

Where is the magical Nirvana you inhabit?   :D :D

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:12 »
Wait a minute?  New Allotment?  First days work?  Why are you not struggling with six feet high brambles and a low level jungle?    :D

There's a tradition here of our new allotment holders toiling for weeks before they even find their soil.  Many write in contemplating hiring  machinery to clear their plots and some ask about county by-laws regarding slash and burn techniques.

My first post was to ask about the long term effect of Napalm on a neglected plot and if there was alternative organic air strike available.

It's not nirvana. You missed a bit. It's been rotavated . . .   :unsure: :blush: :nowink:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38 »

:lol: :lol:....I can SO relate to that.....enjoy your lovely lottie Spudtastic!
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

spudtastic

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 21:06 »

cheers for the speedy replies you lot dont hang about do ya!
its a share in a allotment, some1 at work has it but its getting to much for him so he has gifted us half of it (well i say half but actually he's just saved a bit on the end for him and we free to do whatever in the rest)
it is in reasonable order.
done a couple hours work saturday and another hour today and its looking ALOT better, 90% of the weeds are hoed out and bagged up and the surface has been raked so its looking reasonably ''clean'' and fresh with nothing growing so hopefully ready for me to get going.
planning on digging a couple of trenches this week and get some seed pots in next weekend.
and im so glad i havent had to start with a massive overgrown bramble style plot as just the relatively small amount of work so far has made me feel a few aches and pains im not used to lol
good fun and the nipper loves it down there, caught him eating a bit of mud earlier though will have to keep close eye on him till he learns what he can/can not do there.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 22:27 »
I really rate the darlek composters. They do really get the heat up in summer and if you get the mix right they are really good at making great compost fast. I do have pallet compost bins too, but I reckon they need a year to make good stuff. My black plastic bins take three months max. Regarding blowing away, never happens, they are never empty enough and the lids stays on very nicely.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 22:41 »
Im fully agreed with Paddy
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:48 »
Hoeing off weeds?..... What's that all about then? Has taken 5 months to clear my plot of a small jungle with roots that went half way down to Australia!

Sal x
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

randombod

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 14:29 »
its alright for some i have the mares tail to get rid off and thats like going in to battle its winning the war but i WILL win the battle. i  dream of a simple hoe oh the pleasures and dreams < sits back and day dreams> :closedeyes:

xx
Allotment before work

Started by beaker141 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 22:44
by Kimberley04
xx
Just got an allotment. It needs a lot of work, but what can I sow now?

Started by stee1e on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 08:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Starting Work At The Allotment

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:20
by fibilou
xx
new allotment back breaking work

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 07:20
by foxydan

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 40 queries.