potatoes to buy and plant now?

• 6 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
potatoes to buy and plant now?
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:21 »
Hi, I got an email off t&m saying I could plant potatoes now for Christmas. Does anyone do this, if so what types and where would I buy them as no where local seems to have them on line

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: potatoes to buy and plant now?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26 »
They do this every year, I wish they wouldn't  :nowink:

if you do a search for Christmas potatoes you'll find few people have success with them, plus they are expensive to buy. (especially from t&m  ::) )

DoubleDigger

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44 »
I do it every year.....but I do not buy "Christmas Potatoes"  ::)

All I do is carefully look after my First Earlies, as 'seed' & plant them every few weeks up until as late as September.

If you plant the right varieties ie. first earlies they will, if the weather is not too harsh, come in just fine.  You may need to protect the haulm from wind, but the early frosts rarely go deep enough to trouble the crop.

First, Second & Main, have to do with the number of weeks to production, not when they should be planted per se.  Usually, with the better weather we have been having in September / October & into November, they do as well late 'sown' as they do early.

My 'seed' waiting for a clear patch & a dry spell....... been in good light since February with an occasional spray of seaweed.

Nothing better thamn freshly lifted, home grown, Salad Potatoes with Boxing Day 'cold cuts'.....not enough room on the plate on Christmas Day  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47 »
don't yours get blight, the other problem for late sown spuds?

DoubleDigger

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59 »
'Blight', I have always found is a real problem of warm, wet/damp, "still", sultry weather......I have never had blight on my later potatoes - but I do keep them away from my Tomatoes, in case of cross-over & I don not grow any second earlies or Mains, so there is no old haulm about.  As I posted elsewhere, I'm not sure the variety I grow, Anya, is a particularly blight susceptible potato, but certainly Autumnal conditions do not seem to cause blight on mine.  'Wind' is the bigger issue if it is strong & the haulm is 'full', but some Netting / Screening & tying up seems to manage that.

Our last few seasons have been warm, but dry in September & October & pretty mild in November, so much so that I usually end up having to water them as they grow.  In fact the last 3 years, it has been by far the best 'season' for trying to grow anything, here on the edge of the Cotswolds.

I do grow in 'Beds', so I have plenty of 'air' around them & the soil benefits from being free draining & well worked over a few years now. 

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44 »
Sorry - appears I didn't finish my sentance!  Online could be an option but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Yesterday I bought some potato planters that were on sale, so I have the ability to plant some, I don't have any let alone any chitted.  What would be the best thing to do, do you think?

Last time I grew potatoes sucessfully was about 20 years ago. I've tried the last couple, but they got blighted so I had to bin the lot.  This year I've not put any in.

What do I do about chitting, I have a greenhouse, so would you chit in that?  Can I plant unchitted?  Like I say - clueless.

I'm assuming I just search for anywhere that has some first earlies on sale?

greenthing

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53 »
I'm very glad to see this thread. We don't eat potatoes much so the few freebie seed tubers I was given in February got bumped down the priority list somewhat, and are still chitting on my windowsill  :blush:

I'll was wondering whether to try them outdoors in the ground or put them in pots for the greenhouse...but seeing doubelsigger's post I shall try them in the ground now I think...asuming it dries out before the frosts hit  ::)

xx
Plant potatoes now?

Started by Alan lad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 15:47
by JayG
xx
when to plant potatoes

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 21:08
by boogaloo
xx
What can I plant after potatoes ......

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 19:57
by Yorkie
xx
Potatoes - when to plant

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 11:46
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 40 queries.