adjust NPK to suit onions

• 4 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
adjust NPK to suit onions
« on: February 04, 2011, 15:56 »
I have quite a lot of potato fertiliser NPK 13:13:20 which i would like to use up this year, by using on my onion bed as well, if possible.

I know onions want more Phosphate than there is in that mix, so is there anything I can add to make it better for them, or just use as is  :unsure:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: adjust NPK to suit onions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 18:22 »
Dunno what is best for Onions, but Superphosphate exists - could you supplement your 13:13:20 with some of that?

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 18:29 »
Superphosphate is about 20% , if you prefer organic then bonemeal at 7% has the highest phosphate content of the common organics (but i have seen higher figures quoted for bonemeal)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 18:50 »
Superphosphate or Bonemeal? great - easy enough to get hold of Bonemeal, don't know about Superphosphate.......I'll have a look around  ;)

Thank you both for the help  ;)

someoneorother

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 19:35 »
Superphosphate is about 20% , if you prefer organic then bonemeal at 7% has the highest phosphate content of the common organics (but i have seen higher figures quoted for bonemeal)

Depends on whether you count total phosphate or discount either the soluble or insoluble part (I can't remember which), IIRC. From looking at a packet of bonemeal in Wilkos and it had two boxes, the one with 'UK regs' at the top said it was 14% P, the RoI regs box said 7%.

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.