Less than ideal brassica conditions

• 6 Replies

mham73

Less than ideal brassica conditions
« on: April 02, 2009, 13:20 »
Hello all!

I took on a 12'x60' plot last sping and managed to get some decent spuds, carrots and beetroot before taking a (now regretable) break from around November to Feb, so there was no autumn digging or manuring.  I've spent a few days recently digging over the whole plot and planning this year's veg and decided to try some brasiccas.  Unfortunately I've now read that they need lots of organic matter worked in in the autumn and a really firm bed, whereas mine is almost springy having just single dug it!  I'm sure the soil is quite rich as last year's carrots & spuds were huge but is it even worth trying brassicas?

I'm thinking I could add plenty of blood, fish & bone and then maybe try and firm down the section by walking on a piece of flat cardboard or wood to try and compact it a bit.  Is this closing the stable door too late?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated  :)

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: Less than ideal brassica conditions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 13:26 »
yea go for it  m8, i always dig my whole plot in the spring to let the birds on it to eat the grubs etc b4 i plant. as long as u tread down around the plant i think you will be fine.

Ropster

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 13:32 »
stick them in they will be fine
you could rake some peleted chicken manure in as Brassica's like that for the nitrogen

greg.t

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 14:26 »
don't worry mate l did the same last year and still managed to get a good crop just feed well during the course of the year.... 8)

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 15:11 »
Don't forget to "firm in" the soil after planting (brassicas really don't tolerate loose soil round their roots ... tell tale signs are purple discolouration in the leaves) and don't worry - your brassicas will be fine.  A few years ago I shared some brassica seedlings with my friends, and they then decided to dig a new bed (sandy soil), piled in loads of (fresh!) manure, and their sprouts ended up bigger than mine  >:(  Seemed to go right against the grain of how you are supposed to do things!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mham73

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 15:23 »
Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear  :D

The 'just go for it' approach worked well last year but after reading the Fruit & Veg Expert book I started to panic!

Thanks for the quick replies
Cheers
M

noshed

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 15:42 »
Keep an eye on them after you've planted and keep firming them in, even earthing them up slightly. They like a firm hand.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
ideal planting conditions

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 18:50
by DD.
xx
Ideal ph for brassica bed

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 21:08
by canwickplot
xx
Conditions of use?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 12:22
by Sideways
xx
What will thrive in these dry conditions?

Started by BeggerJohn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:12
by catllar

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 39 queries.