A blackcurrant pruning quandary.

• 17 Replies

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
Re: A blackcurrant pruning quandary.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 17:48 »
... and you posted it there a week ago.  Are we second best :(

Just to back up what DD. has said:  We do prefer original posts to copy and paste from other sites.  That's why our google rating is better than the site you first posted that on ASW :)
i appologise..
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 06:28 »
A couple of alternatives worth considering:

Grow blackcurrents in multiples of three and cut every third bush down to ground level completely every three years. You'll then get one non-fruiting year, and two fruiting years over the three year cycle. In practice because you are cutting right down to ground level every three years you can grow your bushes closer than you otherwise would do if you plan things carefully

Or

At the end of harvesting time cut out completely each heavily fruiting (old wood) stem with the end of the season's crop - it's easier to harvest the currents that way too.

I've been using method one for the last few years - one bush in each corner of a triangular bed with a morello cherry in the middle - heavy crops of currents and cherries

SS

Some old boys here used to recommend cutting the currant branches with the fruit still on, and picking them in comfort!

I like the idea of a complete chop like you describe, ans the growth is more easily controlled. But you do need plenty of room - and bushes of course.

Another tip was that they would use a black currant pruning as a row marker, and each year, they'd get new stock for nothing!

sion01

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 14:56 »
In view of your last comment and looking at your two locations, you wouldn't happen to know him, or be related by any chance?   :lol:

:D :D :DJust cameback to the thread after a while.No I don't know Ivor or im not related (i don't think) but my father did have a cousin called Ivor who lived in Flint but we spread his ashes overlooking the irish sea a few years ago.Unless there's been a big mistake :ohmy:

I like the new picture Aunt Sally

xx
Blackcurrant pruning.

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 19:01
by mumofstig
xx
Blackcurrant bush pruning

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2016, 11:54
by Growster...
xx
Pruning newly planted Blackcurrant bushes

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 16:29
by Yana
xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.