Considering having ducks

• 6 Replies

Silkysmooth

Considering having ducks
« on: October 11, 2010, 21:06 »
Hi All,

I'm considering having a pair or two of ducks. I currently have a small chicken house in my garden that was used for a broody coop but the brood has grown up and gone and the mother is back in the main coop at the allotment.

My questions are: -

1. Do ducks need as much space as chickens?
2. Will they go to bed when the sun goes down? considering whether I can use a automatic door opener?
3. how big would the water source need to be for 3 campbell ducks?
4. Does anyone know if they would allow them on the allotment? they currently allow chickens, rabbits, bees, pigeons etc.
5. Would there be any changes needed to the chicken coop?

Many Thanks in advance

Andy x

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Considering having ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 21:22 »
1, More. At least 2m2per duck.
2, No. They are party animals and if not put away they will stay the night out misbehaving (and getting eaten by predators).
3, They can cope with a pretty small water space as long as they have something to wash their eyes and nostrils in. I have used an old wheelbarrow base aand one of those shallow trug tubs.
4, Dunno but I would have thought so.
5, You will need to remove the perches as they don't use them. They just need shelter from the elements and nice deep bedding to lay in. They are not tidy layers.

Have fun. I love my ducks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 16:37 »
Agree with Kate. I am enjoying my Campbells. Just wondered what sort of exit you have to your coop. I have converted a rabbit hutch and made the door into a ramp as they like to tumble out together in one!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

peter rooster

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 20:26 »
Hi

I got 25 day old mallard for our shoot the last year the main problem I had was the amount of poop. Compared with chickens they produce loads. Something to do with a simple digestive system, just poop all the time.

Peter Rooster.

ps wish I had not used Peter Rooster my eight chicks turned out 6 boys 2 girls!
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 20:34 »
4. Does anyone know if they would allow them on the allotment? they currently allow chickens, rabbits, bees, pigeons etc.

Check with your allotment authority before seriously considering it. 

Chicken Pete

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45 »
Re the question of ducks on the allotment.
Suggest you speak with your Parish Council and / or Borough Council as I am led to believe there is variance between them.  We are allowed Chickens,Rabbits and SHEEP on our allotments but not Ducks,etc however in the near by town they do not allow any poultry on their allotments.

r2d2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 19:29 »
I have had my 3 khaki campbells for 5 months, they make a terrible mess although this is only really near their water so I have that on a slotted platform so it can drain through and I can wash it easily,

Mine always go to bed themselves when it gets dark, i just check they're in and shut the door,

I started with them in a pen but now they just free range though my largish garden which is totally enclosed with a 6ft fence, if I pen them in now they get very grumpy

I love them to bits and have been getting 1 egg from each per day since I got them in May

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
need help with my ducks !

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 23:07
by dchubbuk
xx
Which ducks are best

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 08, 2010, 20:57
by Spana
xx
will my ducks lay????

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 17:23
by Bodger

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.