Wire Mesh

• 29 Replies

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Wire Mesh
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44 »
This was sold for chickens but I keep my rabbits in it:

It's pretty simple (and cheaper) to knock up panels yourself, I was just being lazy  :lol:

Foxy

Wire Mesh
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 09:57 »
WoW thats an impressive run, looks very rat and fox proof too! :D

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 10:02 »
Good idea to make it modular too. Just unscrew the middle and insert another couple of sections when you want to increase your flock. :wink:  :)

Wish we'd thought ahead a bit.

Rob 8)

SalJ1980

Wire Mesh
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09 »
Oooh thanks Tam! That's the sort of thing I will be attempting - a house in an enclosed run. How many birds is that size meant for?
Sal

Organic...so far!

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Wire Mesh
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 11:08 »
I'm not sure how many chickens, mines 5'x7' and would house 3-4 rabbits. The standard size panels are 3'x6' but I got custom size to squeeze it in the gap in the garden without blocking off the back door  :lol:

It was very easy to put together. Each panel has 3/4 screws going each way, locking them together. The mesh covers the wood on the inside and the roof panels are meshed too so it's pretty secure.

You can buy panels individually from various places start about £12 for a full mesh panel, bit more for the door sections/half wood/full wood panels etc.

Tam

SalJ1980

Wire Mesh
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54 »
Thanks!  :D

AndyRVTR

Wire Mesh
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 14:03 »
[Andy, could you please post pics of your hen house/run when it's built? I'm hoping to get chooks in the spring and will be building my own house and run, so am interested in how other people have designed them. Anyone else's pics obviously appreciated too![/quote]

Hi Sal... I have been putting some pics of my construction on this site... I have a few more to add today, but up to now I'm pretty pleased with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyrvtr/

Hope it helps

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 14:14 »
In that run as shown, you could theoretically get 3 or 4 hens in but ideally a bit bigger. And you might want to put a plastic roof on to keep the ground dry. Avoids mud and smells  :)

3 bantams would prob be happy enough. If you could let them run free as and when even better. :)

Rob 8)

SalJ1980

Wire Mesh
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 14:31 »
Thanks Andy, just realised I've seen your photos before so you must have linked to them previously, but hadn't seen the latest ones anyhow.

Cheers Rob, I'm only wanting 3 or 4 birds anyway so something along those lines should be good. Will be aiming to let them free range in the garden when I'm there to keep an eye on them, but ISTR there is only a low (waist high) fence between us and the neighbours-to-be (who I believe have a jack russell) so won't be able to let them out permanently!

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 14:34 »
I'd be tempted to put some wire mesh up on that fence too in case they decide to go and chat to next door's JR  :shock:

Just enough to keep them safely in your garden.

Rob 8)

SalJ1980

Wire Mesh
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 14:36 »
That's a good idea Rob. Will have a proper look when we've move in and settled a bit - have only seen it the once when we viewd it a few week ago so it's a bit hazy in my memory now!  :lol:

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 14:40 »
We were like that when we viewed this place. Turned out we missed out an entire hallway !

It came as a nice surprise when we came back to view  :)

Rob

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Wire Mesh
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 14:01 »
Need to get some wire mesh now have realised that Chicken mesh is no good but just don't know where to get it from.  Mole Valley don't seem to do it.  Any ideas anyone (we are inbetween Holsworthy and Bideford).

Thanks

NDD :D

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 14:05 »
Always got ours from ebay. Some bargains if you spend a few days looking. If you need it yesterday, garden centres should sell it. Or pet shops, but you'll pay a high price for it.

Rob 8)

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Wire Mesh
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 14:07 »
Thanks PG will keep looking on there.  :D

xx
Wire mesh for a run

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:34
by garddwr
xx
wire mesh

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 14:06
by woodburner
xx
wire mesh supplier

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 23:43
by SUTTY1
xx
wire mesh skirts to keep out fox

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 08:45
by Sassy

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 36 queries.