Seed Prices

• 26 Replies

3 allotments

• now is the time
Seed Prices
« on: January 31, 2014, 22:58 »
Wow has anyone seen the prices of seed from premier seeds on fleebay i dont think i will be buying from them again 99p per pack for just  about any seed some even more ,last year they was half the price for most things, ill look around for some cheaper ones,anyone got names of good  cheaper companies?
diggity dig dig

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Seed Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 22:59 »
They have been 99p for years..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 23:11 »
Hi gjc i bought lots last year for less than 99p there isnt any less than that at the moment  :(im going to reighton garden center on weekend to get some more garlic maybe pick some up there if cheaper

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 23:29 »

Indeed they were 99p last year - when some of the catalogues charge £2 or more their prices are very reasonable IMO.

Lidl and Aldi have cheap seeds in about now, but the choice is very limited.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 23:31 »

Indeed they were 99p last year - when some of the catalogues charge £2 or more their prices are very reasonable IMO.

Lidl and Aldi have cheap seeds in about now, but the choice is very limited.
Thanks mos ill give them a look tomoz

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 23:53 »
if you have a wilkinsons near you they have a wide range and quite cheap ..just bought some heritage parsnips seeds for 40p

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:15 »
like everything these days it pays to have a look around before you buy, and stock up when the 50p Garden Centre sale is on ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:16 by cadalot »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:19 »
:(im going to reighton garden center on weekend to get some more garlic maybe pick some up there if cheaper

Garden centres are normally around 2.99 +  per packet so be warned...

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 23:40 »
Went to 3 different shops today got 10 packs of seeds for £5 excellent 2 for £1, 2 leeks, 1iceberg lettuce,1beetroot,1sweetcorn f1,1primo cabbage,1parsnip,1alicante toms,1cucumber,1courgette, from boyes,a bookshop, and barmy bobs (yorkshire trading) great deal :D

chillimummy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 16:50 »
got 8 packs of seeds today in Aldi at 39p each. Mostly herbs,spinach and salad stuff which I needed but cucumber, chilli and carrots too. Not a huge choice but all were things I wanted so very happy at that price  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 17:35 »
Went to see a client this morning and got there early so I had to go and look in Lidl to waste some time, and the seed packets talked to me telepathically saying "buy me, buy me, buy me" I could not resist 29p a pack or 5 for a £1 it would be rude to only look. I now have a pack of watermelon seeds that I'm hoping I can grow in the greenhouse. White Radish Red Radish, Leeks (which weren't on the agenda but I will over winter) and Peppers (bought seed vs seeds harvested from shop bought peppers in the greenhouse)

Nice long date on so I also bought 4 packs of the 49p Garden Peas two different types, French beans, Carrot (Karnavit) early Season F1 Hybrid,

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 18:16 »
I didn't think the premier seed prices were too bad in comparison with some of the online suppliers.

But another place you could try is moreveg.co.uk Someone on another recent thread recommended them. I've just ordered some seeds at reasonable prices - 50p and upward, but still not bankbreaking. The only drawback is that you don't get that many seeds in a packet (e.g. 15 sprouts seeds in a packet rather than hundreds). Not much of a problem for me, but if you do want lots, it might add up once you start multiplying the number of packets.

barley

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 19:14 »
some times you don't get as many seeds in the cheaper packets  :mad:

me and dad order ours online and split the packets 50% each so we only pay about 50p each for half a packet and there are still more seeds than we need

solway cropper

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 23:09 »
Wow has anyone seen the prices of seed from premier seeds on fleebay i dont think i will be buying from them again 99p per pack for just  about any seed some even more ,last year they was half the price for most things, ill look around for some cheaper ones,anyone got names of good  cheaper companies?

As a Yorkshireman myself I have a severe aversion to parting with my money but I do think a quid for a packet of seeds is a pretty good deal. If I can get 50/60 cucumber plants from one packet of seeds and each plant gives me 15/20 fruit that compares pretty well with buying cukes at Tesco's.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 23:19 »
i tend to look at the seed quantity to the packet price to as i said earlier 40p for a packet of 400 seeds thats ten a penny lol and better tasting i know i wont get that many but if i get a few at that price way hay lol

xx
Seed Prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 14:01
by DD.
xx
seed prices

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 16:00
by Snowboar
xx
Seed Garlic Prices

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 23:02
by Ema
xx
Rising seed prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 14:53
by Christine

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 37 queries.