A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...

• 94 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2021, 20:06 »
it will be very interesting to see how renewable energy drives down the cost of our fuel bills that's one I can't wait to see  :D  :D

My plan promises 100% renewable energy but that is not the whole story.  They sell you power from the grid and then buy credits for renewables. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/blog/green/what-are-regos-who-needs-them-and-why

The more renewable sources contributing to the available power in the grid, the less they need to call on power stations using fossil fuels.  Whether that feeds through to cheaper electricity for the consumer remains to be seen.  Wind turbines are the majority of the power generators here in the UK, so all those blustery stormy days we get are good for something after all  :lol:

Gas is a different matter and as we use a lot of it as a nation, worldwide price hikes hit us hard. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 20:10 by New shoot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2022, 16:27 »
Did anyone else watch Martin Lewis on MSE on Thursday? Frightening how much our bills will be going up to in the Spring  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
Unless the Gov do something help, a lot of people are going to be choosing between eating and heating.

My daughter's deal runs out shortly and the new 'best-offer' plan she has been offered by her supplier, would have her paying very nearly £250 a month  :( That is over twice what she has been paying for the last 2 years ...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2022, 16:30 »
It is truly scary. You'll have seen this on the show, doubtless, but I think Martin's current advice is that for the time being, and for most people, it's still better to go onto the variable price cap rather than a new fix when a tariff ends.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christine

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2022, 16:35 »
You think we private individuals have problems? Think of your local village hall, church hall, other community meeting point, the local shop, the local café, local small traders - none of these have a price cap nor does any business.

There will be an impact and where you go and what you do in the very near future.

Lardman

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2022, 16:40 »
Compounding effect of inflation and price rises, this year is going to be absolutely brutal for many  :( and not just for energy,

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2022, 17:00 »
Plus the National Insurance hike and income tax changes.  Grim all round.

Growster...

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2022, 17:59 »
The 'likes' above are the opposite of course!

I'm not that keen on the 'heating versus eating' meme being punted around by the press and the BBC etc., as I would hazard a guess that if one also considers the huge mobile phone, the Sky subsriptions, two cars per family, takeaway food etc., even fags., which are all looked on as 'necessities' by some, then it becomes a matter of priorities, of which cooking and eating at home should be up there with heating, as definite 'firsts'!

Sounds a bit post-WW2 I know, but millions of families certainly kept to all those principles then! They just had to!

Our electricity bill has gone through the roof, as have coal bills at around £150 per month now, so it's down to extra jerseys and big fat soups to equate the balance! The soup works out at around 50p per meal for two, (OK, yes we chuck in a lot of leeks from the garden), and surely nobody has to be a Delia Smith to make that!

Family pressures are such that all the 'extras' above are multiplied with so many more children coming along, and of course, they must come first, but there has to come a time when there's a realisation that we're all in this together! Had the covids not appeared, it would be a different story I suppose, but there'll always be another moan on the horizon!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2022, 18:08 »
The 'likes' above are the opposite of course!

I'm not that keen on the 'heating versus eating' meme being punted around by the press and the BBC etc., as I would hazard a guess that if one also considers the huge mobile phone, the Sky subsriptions, two cars per family, takeaway food etc., even fags., which are all looked on as 'necessities' by some, then it becomes a matter of priorities, of which cooking and eating at home should be up there with heating, as definite 'firsts'!

Sounds a bit post-WW2 I know, but millions of families certainly kept to all those principles then! They just had to!

Our electricity bill has gone through the roof, as have coal bills at around £150 per month now, so it's down to extra jerseys and big fat soups to equate the balance! The soup works out at around 50p per meal for two, (OK, yes we chuck in a lot of leeks from the garden), and surely nobody has to be a Delia Smith to make that!

Family pressures are such that all the 'extras' above are multiplied with so many more children coming along, and of course, they must come first, but there has to come a time when there's a realisation that we're all in this together! Had the covids not appeared, it would be a different story I suppose, but there'll always be another moan on the horizon!

I think the stereotyping about peoples' expenditure and priorities, whilst accurate for some, is almost certainly outdated and insulting to many.  Lives are completely different now to 80 years ago, and comparison does no favours. People work in different jobs, further away from home, with less public transport, and need to get to work.  Those people who have to use food banks probably aren't also getting takeaways twice a week.  The mobile phone has replaced the landline, and there is a necessity for a mechanism of communication with an increasingly digital-only world.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 18:09 by Yorkie »

Growster...

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2022, 18:25 »
Yes I fully understand that Yorkie, but this is truly a time when, whatever the situations with work, food, heating etc., something has to give, because whatever happens, we just cannot expect to be allowed to continue spending where it isn't absolutely necessary.

Yes, you're possibly right about comparisons with the forties, and I accept that, but surely responsibilities come with much awareness these days, it's been a rotten eighteen months for everyone.

I bet you've had to give up something when times were hard, I know we have, and still do, hence my wish that the media could actually put pressure on profligate spending by governments, and couple it with a few home truths to help citizens see sense!

Liker most British people our income (pensions), will reduce our standard of living even further this year, so you could maybe see why I get a bit hot under this (frayed) collar on occasions!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2022, 09:50 »
It is going to be hard for everyone coming out of this pandemic and being on a fixed and low income puts you in a more vulnerable position than most.  Even if you work and can earn more in some way, you are looking at price hikes to run your home that will eat that up as fast as you get it and if petrol and diesel prices stay high, increased travelling costs to get to you to that work.  I do think it is a bit naive though to say there is no link between spending habits and your perception of how well off you are. 

If you need a food bank, then thank goodness they are there to catch you and hand that help to you.  They do amazing work and people are usually more than happy to donate to help them.  Fact is we are also one of the heaviest nations in the world and are also in the grip of an obesity crisis, just to add to all the others we have.  It is not a palatable fact for the media to publicise to us all, so they don’t or shy away from the subject, but a calm cool look is badly needed.

Growster...

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2022, 11:46 »
We have a food bank right in the middle of the village, by our cottage hospital charity shop, and the two stores and the bakery opposite are fabulous at keeping it stocked up!

I don't know how many courgettes finish up there each summer, but when we had 'The Patch', they'd have got a load of leeks for certain! (They used to go to a church 'minimal food' service around March)!

I just hope that everyone on low incomes will be helped, not by a VAT chop, which means everyone gets a saving, rich or poor, but by targetting the most vulnerable.

This is crunch month now.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40 »
Bargain offer today on my heating and electric just double my current costs if I fix for 3 years. Not likely was my thought. Just going to let it roll onto variable & see what emerges from government. Good luck all
HH
Keep digging

Growster...

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2022, 11:20 »
Bargain offer today on my heating and electric just double my current costs if I fix for 3 years. Not likely was my thought. Just going to let it roll onto variable & see what emerges from government. Good luck all
HH

It's generally reckoned that your way is the better option now, although last year, everyone was told to look out for fixed deals!

Looking at historical costs, I noticed that several years ago, I was actually paying only £15.00 less than we are now, at £188.00 pm!

Weleft Bulb over a year ago, so that may have been a stroke of luck, but it's not always that way!

rowlandwells

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2022, 14:53 »
which ever way we look our energy bills are set to rise one way or another and it will certainly hit those most vulnerable with fixed income and those who have jobs with a minimum wage

as I've said before your going to pay for going green for most things like it or not lets take agriculture the lets go green gang want farmers to turn there land back to nature sounds good and with the subsidies offered if I was  farmer I would jump at it

so we get all this land back to nature forget about growing food crops this year has seen a massive increase in cereal prices a farmer friend of ours is over the moon with wheat prices he's getting at around £260 per tonne and that not including rape seed if you grow a rape crop you can be looking at double the price for that  and that's to the merchant so what's he selling to his customer for like the bakeries and those who produce  cooking oil any price increases will without doubt be passed onto the consumer

then I see those with an older car like myself  will be looking at an increased road tax from April for running
an old car  petrol or diesel >:(   and off cause fuel being at an all time high  transport cost will rise and the increase will again be put to joe public

so basically witch ever way we turn  cost of living is set to rise for the consumer on everything without question watch this space  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2022, 19:38 »
which ever way we look our energy bills are set to rise one way or another and it will certainly hit those most vulnerable with fixed income and those who have jobs with a minimum wage

I sincerely hope there is something along the lines of the Winter Fuel Payment on the way for pensioners and anyone else who qualifies.  I suspect benefits for anyone working will be a sliding scale based on income.

You are right though, it is only one part of what is going to be a difficult year with costs on all sorts of goods and services going up.  There was always going to be a price to pay for the disruption caused by the pandemic and we are seeing it hit around the world now  :(

xx
Which is the more economical with electricity.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 11:46
by JayG
xx
cost of things

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2024, 19:42
by jaydig
xx
What does it cost for some one to cut the grass

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 20:35
by LILLILEAF
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 55 queries.