shed floor

• 3 Replies

Salmo

shed floor
« on: September 11, 2014, 13:07 »
I have a good 6ft X 4ft shed sat upon 4 courses of brick. The floor is slabs set on earth and gets very damp. What is the best way to waterproof the floor. My thoughts are a sheet of membrane with 2in of concrete on it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 15:23 by Salmo »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: shed flood
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 14:23 »
Don't know anything about it, but do you need the concrete?  Would membrane + earth (sand might be easier to lay slabs on?) + Slabs do instead?

bravemurphy

Re: shed floor
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 18:32 »
Membrane would be the best but put a blinding of sand under it to stop any sharp bits penetrating the membrane.

ambodach

Re: shed floor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 21:03 »
I have a good 6ft X 4ft shed sat upon 4 courses of brick. The floor is slabs set on earth and gets very damp. What is the best way to waterproof the floor. My thoughts are a sheet of membrane with 2in of concrete on it.

Salmo - do you mean by "4 courses of brick" that the shed is 12" off the ground - or is this 4 support points of one brick - ie 3" off the ground.  It does make quite a difference to what you are trying to achieve.

One thing you do have to think on is quite where this damp floor is with respect to the bottom faces of the shed walls  -there is little point in trying to keep the 'support' points dry if the rest of the shed is getting damp from the current floor.  Another query - do the 'brick' supports have a damp proof membrane, as again moisture will pass through the bricks.

Without removing the shed and sorting the base area such that it is sealed from damp in the manners suggested above, I don't think you are going to solve the problem; trying to retrofit a membrane and getting it moisture proof with the shed in position I don't think is realistic. 

I would dig out the current floor, making sure that all the shed wood has good ventilation and go for putting in suitable supports for waterproof plywood or OSB - see this typical website for guidance

http://www.tbrewer.co.uk/sheet-materials/guide-to-constructional-plywood-a-osb

xx
shed floor

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 09:49
by noshed
xx
Floor for metal shed ?

Started by Petite graine on Design and Construction

26 Replies
Last post July 09, 2007, 22:46
by weeeed
xx
Shed leaking - what's the best way to seal edges to floor?

Started by ptarmigan on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 20:43
by 8doubles
xx
Wrapping greenhouse/shed floor bearers in plastic to protect against rotting?

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 10:51
by Welsh Merf

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 37 queries.