Polytunnel Newbie

• 9 Replies

david64

• Arakiel Genealogy
Polytunnel Newbie
« on: January 06, 2012, 18:47 »
Evening ladies and gentle squires,

I am considering getting a polytunnel, but am unsure of what material would be best. I am interested in something that will retain heat well. I am also looking at the lower end of the price range, having not planned to get a polytunnel and already spent my year's budget.

I am seeing a lot of cheap ones like this:

http://www.feelgooduk.net/90-20ft-polytunnel-garden-greenhouse.html

I think that will do in terms of construction as the area it would go is not prone to strong wind, but comments on construction are welcome if anyone deems it worth while.

Thanks in advance.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Polytunnel Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:17 »
I bought and installed that polytunnel last autumn, and I'm very pleased with it. I doubt the cover will last too many years, but they're simple and quite cheap to replace, and the metal framework seems good and strong. I just put a continuous layer of bricks on top of the cover all the way round 3 sides of it, and that seems to be holding it very well. It's stood through some pretty strong winds over the past few months and hasn't budged an inch. It's also very useful to have the ventilation panels all down both long sides, which a lot of the more expensive tunnels don't have, because even in autumn and winter you do get a build up of humidity in the tunnel.

The only thing it hasn't got which I would like to have is crop bars, because they'd be very useful for tying plants in or hanging things up.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49 »
I have a smaller version of this and it has stood up well to the weather this season, inlcluding gales.

BUT

Others have had them for longer and the plastic is starting to wear out,leaving holes which ctach the wind and then inevitably they rip beyond repair.

I think if you aim for 2 -3  yrs from this sort of cover it would be about right
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 13:52 »
Actually, I did email the chap selling them to ask if it was possible to get crop bars for them. He seemed very helpful, answered right away, but sadly there's no crop bars available for them.  He said it should be possible to put some on but you'd have to improvise. I keep wondering if I could buy crop bars from one of the other vendors, like FirstTunnel, but I don't really know how you'd find out if they'd fit until you actually tried it.

Sunshine - wouldn't it be possible to fix any small holes with tunnel repair tape?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 14:25 »
what happens is that the small clear 'window panes', between the green mesh, drop out, so you end up with a netting cage rather than a polytunnel  :( 
On the plus side it makes the tunnel self watering *sarcastic smile*

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 18:09 »
Doesn't cost too much to replace them though, does it. And even with the much more expensive tunnels, the covers need to be replaced on a regular basis.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 18:29 »
My cover was only hole free for one summer, and I didn't think that paying for a new cover each year was a reasonable expense. A proper tunnel cover should last 5 years.

The frames do look stronger, now,  than on mine (which I had to keep repairing) so perhaps if your frame is still good after a year,  you would be better off with a 'proper polytunnel' replacement cover, rather than another green one?
Just a thought :)

david64

• Arakiel Genealogy
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 20:08 »
Thanks for the cumulative experience.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 20:09 »
Actually, I did email the chap selling them to ask if it was possible to get crop bars for them. He seemed very helpful, answered right away, but sadly there's no crop bars available for them.  He said it should be possible to put some on but you'd have to improvise. I keep wondering if I could buy crop bars from one of the other vendors, like FirstTunnel, but I don't really know how you'd find out if they'd fit until you actually tried it.

Sunshine - wouldn't it be possible to fix any small holes with tunnel repair tape?

Yes you can, but once the holes start to appear it is usally the start of the plastic degrading and you get more ane more of f them

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:21 »
I am in the middle of putting up my tunnel at the moment, its all ready for the plastic after a good few hours down the plot yesterday. lots of timber frame around the base fixings and plates pole and more fixings more screws and i am even thinking of putting some timber stakes into the ground to add more support but that might just be me going over the top.  Narrow door one end wider the other so i can get a barrow in. I got my cover from first tunnels with lots of other bits and bobs all came next day postage.   :D
Thanks
Kris

xx
HElp Which polytunnel to buy!

Started by alexo on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 16:45
by mumofstig
xx
polytunnel help

Started by fiano60 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:44
by fiano60
xx
polytunnel help please

Started by sunlover on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 13:50
by arugula
xx
polytunnel

Started by mollymuggles on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 17:36
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.