New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

• 9 Replies

Snowpea

« on: March 30, 2019, 21:43 »
Hi everyone,
I have just joined. Its a really interesting site and you all seem very friendly and knowledgeable.
I live in Australia and have been gardening for 30+ years but I am by no means an expert. There is always something new to learn.  I am an avid vegetable grower which is why I joined this group. I have a question on Jerusalem artichokes which I will ask in the appropriate section. Don't want to get off on the wrong foot by asking questions in the wrong place. :)
Cheers

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 22:35 »
Welcome Snowpea.

Where do you garden in Australia?

I would think that your climate varies hugely throughout Oz.

Snowpea

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 23:25 »
Hi Aunt Sally
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if I am replying to your reply the right way. This is only the second time I have joined a discussion group. Last one was 15 odd years ago and it folded soon after. :(  So I'm really winging it here.
Yes the climate varies quite a lot in Australia. From tropical in the north to cold temperate in the south and everything in between. We even have alpine with snow but it is a very small area.
I live in Canberra and it is situated in what is called the Southern Tablelands. The summers are hot (30+ degrees C) and the winters cold. The winter temp at night has been known to go as low as -10 but usually -3ish to 0. We get frost but not as severe as I have experienced on a visit to the UK. The ground doesn't freeze and it clears by about 10:00am. The days are, if they don't start foggy and overcast, clear and pleasant. Autumn is mild, warm days and cool nights and Spring is cold and windy and wettish and downright miserable. Our worst season in my opinion. If you want to visit come in Autumn.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:48 »
Hello Snowpea and welcome to the forum. Interesting to know what your climate in Canberra is like. Some similarities with ours here in the UK except we do get frozen ground sometimes.

Which vegetables do you grow?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 16:50 »
I have been to Canberra, in early December, and it was very hot with great danger of wild fires  :ohmy:

I think you may have to shade your veggies in the height of summer.  Will watering be a problem?

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 18:29 »
Welcome.... I’ve been a member for several years and I’m still winging it.🤣

Snowpea

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:02 »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
sunshineband I grow mostly the standards carrots, beetroot, potatoes, silverbeet, peas, beans, pumpkins, squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, kale. Sweetcorn sometimes, its very water intensive. I love to eat it raw straight from the plant. For some reason I have not grown much in the way of cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Nothing to do with not liking them, I adore Brussels sprouts especially.  One year I grew a spectacular crop of leeks and even left a few to go to seed. I was amazed at how tall the flower spike grew. Over 1.5m tall. Ditto with the silverbeet one year.  The heat doesn't seem to bother the vegies so long as I keep the water up to them. I water every day in the evening. I have two rainwater tanks and mains water as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 09:09 »
It sounds as though you grow a wide variety of crops successfully Snowpea.  I always think of brassicas like Brussels as cold weather crops, but if you have enough water I guess you could give them a go. Be interesting to see how you get on...aa bit of shade in the hottest months might help them of course  :nowink:

adal

• Man Of the World
Hello snowpea
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 14:08 »
a big hellow snowpea i hope you have a good year. my sister inlaw lives in Brisbane and we get a up to date on the climate each week  ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 19:31 »
Welcome to the forum - I think you definitely get this week's award for furthest flung member!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx

Started by Tony86 on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 07:34
by New shoot
xx

Started by frugalfifer on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2022, 20:08
by Yorkie
xx
Hello from an old 'member'

Started by Squiffy59 on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2017, 09:54
by sunshineband
clip
A new member saying hello

Started by Toffee Steve on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post January 25, 2018, 05:50
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 48 queries.