Butternut squash

• 7 Replies

Runnerbean

Butternut squash
« on: August 29, 2008, 20:01 »
I have three butternut squash plants on my allotment which seem intent on taking over about half of my plot!  Is there anything i can do to contain them as i would like to use some of the space they have claimed to grow some winter veg in.  I don't want to drastically chop them back as my daughter loves butternut squash and we have loads of them growing at the moment.
Can i build a frame and get them climbing as they look like climbers, and can i still do this at this time of year?
Does anyone have any advice as to what i can do with these monsters?
Im getting desperate, they are growing so quickly i keep thinking they are going to grab my leg and pull me in if i stay still for too long!! :!:  :!:  :!:
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

orfy

• Experienced Member
Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 21:23 »
Please make sure you feed it the correct food.

If you feed it the wrong stuff it can be dangerous.

Yabba

Butternut squash
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 21:25 »
She'll never eat all that :|

¥

gobs

Butternut squash
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 21:41 »
Prune them, even though it might be late, it's autumn next time you look. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Runnerbean

Butternut squash
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 22:57 »
I love the pic!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
What do you feed them to get them to do that?  I am thinking that would be a great guard dog, sorry, guard plant for the plot!!! I wouldn't see the light fingered neighbour again :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Butternut squash
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 21:13 »
They do climb well. I planted two in a composter full of manure on the edge of my plot. I thought they'd trail down the side but instead one made its way along the neighbour's fence and the other discovered, and took over, the bean netting I'd errected and sown climbing french beans under!

lotstodo

Butternut squash
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:53 »
hi runnerbean, i'm a newbie got our allotment this end of may, so this is my first year of growing and I'm having the same problem.  I've read that you can pinch them out like pumpkins but haven't tried it yet. The plants seem to of merged into one huge mass of leaves. Think I planted out my winter cabbage too close; although at the time they were about 2-3 meters away! On the plus side the cabbages are being left alone, maybe the butterflies can't see them!

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Triffids
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 14:46 »
I love butternut too, but I am sure the plants are the original Triffids. Grow like the clappers and they sting you when you try to cut them back.

The good news is you can contain them. Here's two ideas for starters:

* give them frames to climb over. They have to be strong to bear the weight of the vines and squashes (my husband made ours out of sturdy hazel branches) but they actually help get sun to the fruit and keep the mouses away.

* Once they've set a fair number of fruit each, prune back their long stems to the fruits. This will give them the chance to concentrate.

Enjoy them. I have any number of good recipes for butternut if you have a glut!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
butternut squash

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 12:17
by terrijane
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 11:27
by slow_worm
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 19:39
by realfood

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.