Okay, Now what? (withholding eggs)

• 6 Replies

Vi

Okay, Now what? (withholding eggs)
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:04 »
Hiya,

I've deloused my chooks this morning and will begin antibiotics for them tomorrow morning (Duck is sneezing and occasionallly wheezes)  I'm using Oxy B which is a brand of Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride BP 200g/Kg.  I"m planning to use this for 3-5 days (probably 5 to be on the safe side) and then withholding eggs for another ???? days?  I've heard from 5 through to 14 days. 

I've got two questions... What should I do with the eggs we can't eat.  I suppose i should throw them away but should I boil them first or something so they don't smell too much in the bin?

the other question is what would be the recommended withholding period? The canister doesn't specify, infact the canister says not for use for food birds (which is something all of the over the counter meds say to avoid any legal issues)  the produce place is confident that this can be used for the chooks.

Hopefully I've caught anything it might be in time :)  Other than the sneezing there are no other symptoms. I've checked the poos and haven't seen any worms or eggs of worms (though i don't know what those would look like, i figured if i saw them i'd realize that's what they were), her comb and wattle are pretty healthy looking and she seems pretty happy.

Thank you in advance :)
Vi

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Okay, Now what? (withholding eggs)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:57 »
not sure about the withdrawal period - it's normally the same again after the course has finished (so 7 day course then another 7 days)

as for the eggs you can't eat- you can feed them back to the chooks - just hardboil and mash them.
 :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:19 »
........as for the eggs you can't eat- you can feed them back to the chooks - just hardboil and ......

The whole point of not eating the eggs is so us humans will not ingest any of the drugs.
If you give the eggs back to the chickens you are effectively giving them another shot of the drugs.

Throw the eggs away.

Also Vi is in Queensland local laws and may mean there is a longer/shorter or even no withdrawal period.

Vi I would suggest you contact either a vet or the manufacture of Oxy B to be safe.  In the UK we are not allowed to administer or even purchase Antibiotics without a vets prescription.

Sorry.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 13:03 »
........as for the eggs you can't eat- you can feed them back to the chooks - just hardboil and ......

The whole point of not eating the eggs is so us humans will not ingest any of the drugs.
If you give the eggs back to the chickens you are effectively giving them another shot of the drugs.

Throw the eggs away.

i always thought that, but other people have suggested it on here....
it probably is more sensible to throw them away.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 14:12 »
Speak to your vet and they will be able to tell you.

Oxytetracycline is a drug used in humans so it won't be toxic but ingesting antibiotics without reason is obviously not advisable and the trace will take a while to work out of her system.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 15:34 »
Check the concentration you should use.  I think you probably mean mg/Kg not g/Kg !

Vi

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:21 »
hi there,

sorry to take so long to reply.  I've double checked the package and it was definately 200g/kg.  The suggested dosage is 5g per litre and 100ml of this solution will be the right dose for 4 Cockatoos or large parrots.    Today is day 3 of their dosage and so far so good.  Duck has her runny nose again, but I found a stick in her nostril which might be the cause of it. 

What to do with the eggs, we've got a bucket in the fridge for them until rubbish day then we'll throw them out. 

I appreciate your help on this, I should know better, but it hadn't occured to me that the laws would be different in respect of withholding periods, I just figured the chicken's metablolism doesn't change because a new set of laws but perhaps the climate and environment play a part. 

Thank you :)

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.