What happened to the humble Sandwich ?

• 109 Replies

Lardman

Re: What happened to the humble Sandwich ?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 09:08 »
I prefere Bovril on my toast  :lol:

It's bovril on toast here too - sometimes I put a soft boiled egg on top just for good measure  :tongue2:

Marmite is foul the only place that should be is on Twiglets.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 09:19 »

It's bovril on toast here too - sometimes I put a soft boiled egg on top just for good measure  :tongue2:

Marmite is foul the only place that should be is on Twiglets.

And I sometimes grill a sprinkle of grated cheese on top of the bovril.  That is definitely good.

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2021, 10:38 »
I think the trick with Marmite, is to use very little, as it's pretty strong stuff, although not the same as it was twenty years ago!

Another treat, which costs an arm and a leg, is Gentleman's Relish, and that really isn't for the faint-hearted...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2021, 11:12 »
Another treat, which costs an arm and a leg, is Gentleman's Relish, and that really isn't for the faint-hearted...

For the benefit of Sub-P that is an Anchovy based spread.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2021, 11:22 »
Marmite is lovely, that vegimite stuff is not good in any way.
Gentlemen's relish is fab.

The problem with these spreads seems to be controlling the amount used.
This is fairly easy to overcome. Start off with a quantity (however much you need) of soft butter. Mix a quantity (however much you like) of marmite or relish, or bovril (but not vegimite, that's just wrong) into the butter and mix it thoroughly before you spread it on your toast, or bread, or whatever.
You'll get a much better and an even distribution of the product of your choice ( not vegimite though, that'll get you a ban  :D)

Goosegirl

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 14:08 »
In the seventies I used to make a sandwich of buttered brown bread and Barmene which is like Marmite but much nicer. I've also been known to get a barm bun, spread it with butter, put sliced of boiled egg and tomato on and lather it with a good tangy prawn cocktail sauce. Mmmmmmmmmm! :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2021, 17:50 »

For the benefit of Sub-P that is an Anchovy based spread.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish

I didn't know that it was an ingredient of Scotch Woodcock, Aunty!

I just love scramblers with smoked salmon, so I suppose it'd be a similar dish - very savoury; very tasty...

Growster...

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2021, 17:54 »
In the seventies I used to make a sandwich of buttered brown bread and Barmene which is like Marmite but much nicer. I've also been known to get a barm bun, spread it with butter, put sliced of boiled egg and tomato on and lather it with a good tangy prawn cocktail sauce. Mmmmmmmmmm! :)

'Barmene's' a new one on me, Goosey, as is a 'barm bun', but I think a couple of those used to be the basis of Len Fairclough's lunch in Coronation Street, sold by the gorgeous lady in Bettabuys......

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2021, 22:13 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovril

It's interesting where a Wikipedia page can take you Aunty. 

Following your Bovril link takes you (by roundabout connection) to one of the most important scientists ever to study plant nutrition (actually two of them).  Near the bottom of the page in the "See Also" section is a link to "Leibig's Extract of Meat".  The "Leibig" is none other than Baron Justus von Leibig, a chemist who popularized "Leibig's Law of the Minimum", or just "Leibig's Law", which states that plant growth is dictated not by total available resources, but by the scarcest resource (as in, the scarce resource is a limiting factor).  Leibig's Law was initially applied to agriculture, but later has been applied to ecosystems and other populations, as well as other limiting resources (such as sunlight). Leibig's Law is still taught today.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27s_law_of_the_minimum

I mentioned two scientists.  That's because the botanist Carl Sprengel actually developed the science behind "Leibig's Law"; Leibig popularized it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 15:45 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2021, 07:02 »
That's interesting SubP! I didn't know any of that, other than we had a Liebig's Condenser in the labs at school!

Here, in Hawkhurst, we had the Gunther Family, who were i/c the OXO cube!

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/people/taking-stock-the-oxo-story-7089260

His house is now a private school - Saint Ronan's, and the family are all buried a few yards from our garden in a large family tomb, which oddly enough, I've seen the original plans for...

We're very proud of that family, one of the great-grandchildren was a close chum some years ago!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 16:49 »
I await condemnation by the mob, but I quite like a mashed potato and ketchup sandwich every now and then  :blush:

We have also forgotten the fish finger sandwich in our deliberations and the pinnacles of great British cuisine - the chip and bacon butties - singularly or together if you know the right builders cafe to go to  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2021, 17:09 »
While the jury debates the Marmite issue, I only discovered the other day, that it's also great with plain pasta!

Mrs Growster likes the idea of an egg on top, Larders because she's the only girl in the world who has a salt deficiency, but she hates Bovril, so it'd have to be Marmite! There again, she doesn't like Vegemite either, while I do!

She's now back on a diet of Marmite on a Multi-seeded Ryvita for breakfast, and I used to take that with me to eat in the car when I was out all day! It used to go very soft, and was utterly delicious!

Goosegirl

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2021, 14:24 »
Currently I'm drooling all over my keyboard so will have to get some Bovril next time I go shopping. I remember having that from a little WRVS stall in a mug of hot water when I used to go from the lab and do a stint in OPD taking blood samples which I put in one of those tubes where you press a button and it whizzed them upstairs to the lab.  Happy days.

MrsPea

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2021, 19:00 »
 fish finger sandwich  brilliant
Yesterday i had scampi chappati with a side salad that was good to  :)
I Love my green house

Growster...

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2021, 06:11 »
fish finger sandwich  brilliant
Yesterday i had scampi chappati with a side salad that was good to  :)

Fabulous idea!

Years ago, we used to get a 'Prawn and Philadelphia cheese' sandwich in a London pub, which was to die for! Mrs Growster's mum started making them in their pub down South, and they flew off the shelves! Sometimes they were even toasted, and became nectar of the Gods...

xx
The not so humble woodlouse

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 12:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Supermarket carrots, ever happened to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 19:23
by hamstergbert
xx
What has happened to traditional Nativity Plays?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2018, 22:10
by andreadon
clip
amazing thing that happened last week

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2021, 10:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 54 queries.