How to Re-Home Chickens?

• 17 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
How to Re-Home Chickens?
« on: May 29, 2012, 21:36 »
I am really in a state. If you have read my posts in the past, I had 2 ISA Browns purchased as a Mothers Day present last year, then last July I bought a Sussex Hybrid and a Speckledy from Southmead Poultry here is Surrey. The 'moving in' was terrible and awfully stressful, but eventually peace was achieved.

My beautiful Speckledy keeps going broody, and I cant let her have babies, and my Sussex has been subjected to awful bullying this last few weeks, and though still laying, is in a bit of a state.

I havent finally decided to admit defeat and rehome the 2 of them, but if I did how would I go about finding someone? I am in Surrey, near Woking.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How to Re-Home Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 21:39 »
Awww SurreyLass, sorry you feel like this.  Here in Lincolnshire we have  what's called Lincspets4life, I think its .org where people can rehome unwanted pets.  Don't know if you have anything like that down there?

Or we have other members in Surrey, perhaps one of them will come forward.  Hope you find homes for them soon.  xx

grinling

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 21:42 »
Swap Shop on here, I would take them if nearer. Good luck.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 21:42 »
I really dont want to part with them - I would like to buy another house and run, but at the moment, my husband isnt in agreement. It really will break my heart, they are such sweet girls. The Sussex Hybrid is a super layer - every day pretty much without fail.

I have done lots of crying this evening, I just dont know what to do. I hate to think that I am causing anguish for Pauline with the bullying.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 21:46 »
If you want to keep them, do you know who's doing the bullying?  Perhaps try beak bits to stop it?

And the broody, well, have you got a dog cage or perhaps get one from freecycle, or even borrow one?  Put your broody in there with just food and water.  If its not raining, she can stay in there in or next to her run so the others can still see her, but if you can make her uncomfortable enough, you may be able to break her of it.

It looks like you are being cruel, but in the end, its better for her than being broody!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 21:50 »
The 2 brown girls are doing it together Grannie - its very nasty. I removed top chicken this evening and put her in a little ark next to the others, but now the other brown one is at it on her own. Its been going on for probably a week and a half - a week ago I purple sprayed her (white chicken covered in purple spray not a good look), which did nothing, so then last Thursday I bought anti-peck spray so now the poor girl looks filthy - again, no real gain.

PaulineM

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 23:03 »
Hi
If you do re-home them try not to worry too much.
I re-homed 2 hens from a lady who could no longer stand her garden getting messed up and she was in an awful state. Within a couple of weeks the hens were totally intergrated and hadn't a care in the world.
The lady came to visit them a couple of weeks later and they totally ignored her, I think she thought they would come running to her, as long as they are being fed and watered they will not care who is doing it.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

jhub

• jane
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26 »
Hello Surrey Lass,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems, how soul destroying for you.
I live in Kingston and have recently extended my run in order to have more chooks so I'd be happy to give yours a home. Why don't you send me a pm with your contact details as I'm sure you'll have many questions ( I have some too) Also feel free to visit my set up.
Kind regards,
Jane

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59 »
Sorry to hear its not getting any better with the bullying  :(

If they are laying hens, someone will glad to rehome them  :)  I have bantams, or I would take them for you and let you visit when you wanted  :)

Jhub has already offered a home but you could try the swapshop on here.  If it is someone local, you could deliver them yourself so you can see the set-up and put your mind at rest that they are going to a good home.  No good poultry keeper will ever be shy of letting you see their birds and their housing  :)

I've pm'd someone fairly local to you who may also be able to help  ;)

edit to add last line of post NS
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:03 by New shoot »

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17 »
I've taken several birds via the forum swap. All have settled down really well and have made this their home - and me their slave - so don't worry about them being OK. If worried, just ask for pictures of the applicants present set up.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21 »
After a very restless night worrying, I thought I would see what was what this morning - NO.2 chicken is now picking on her alone, so absolutely no improvement.

I have put them on the forum swap, very reluctantly.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52 »
if you wanted to keep them then fit beak clips to the bullies - they do work.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55 »
Me again,
I need to know before Saturday if you want me to take your hens as I am going to pick up new ones if yours are a no go. Thanks, Jane

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 21:59 »
OK, when push came to shove (ie Jane potentially coming tommorrow to collect Oeuf-elia and Pauline, my husband finally agreed that he didnt really want them to go.

I am so excited - we have ordered another house and run, which should be delivered on Friday and can be put up on Saturday, so that my darling girls can have their own space, and my big girls can have theirs, and peace can once again reign in the garden.

I am so happy I could scream!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 22:02 »
Phew! Happy for you.
Jane

xx
I've had enough i'm bringing the chickens home

Started by Madclucker on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 16:00
by Madclucker
xx
Chickens new home, entertainment?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 19:58
by Totty
xx
Over wintering chickens at home - any advise?

Started by snow white on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 10:16
by joyfull
xx
New to keeping chickens, advice on purchase and home.

Started by pswildlifephotography on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 13:36
by westview

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 30 queries.