are there any rules or permissions required to keep chickens at home?

• 5 Replies

Fat Old Bird

Hi there, thinking about getting some chickens for the garden but before I shell out (sorry!) for a coop and bits of kit, are there any rules with local authorities that need abiding by? I live in Bexhill, East Sussex and we are backing onto woodlands so are semi rural, I suppose. But, Bexhill being what it is, Im fairly sure someone will complain (or write to the paper, knowing this town) unless I follow the rules.

any ideas or advice?

Thanks for reading!  :)

treacleminer

It will depend on if your property is your own or rented.  If your own, were there any covenants in place when you bought it preventing keeping poultry? if rented what does your tenancy agreement say?
If you get cockerals - not needed for egg production! - you do open the doors to complaints about noise levels, and also be aware that not everyone's neighbours are as tolerant as mine are about hens having a wander about and digging up their gardens so secure fencing is a must.  Otherwise go for it  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
also don't give any neighbours chance to complain - if they see a rat they will blame you and your chickens even though the rats were probably there before. So good husbandry is a must also a few eggs as a bribe to close neighbours is a good idea  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

jt5824

Hello, I called my local council once I'd checked my deeds. Obviously councils will vary but mine were fine and no formal permissions/ licences were needed. They did suggest however I pay my neighbours a visit to advise them of my plans.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
This topic was discussed fairly recently :)

So have a look here

Fat Old Bird

Thanks for all your advice.  :)

xx
does anyone know rules on chickens on allotment?

Started by cardoon queen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 21:35
by cardoon queen
xx
Chickens not obeying the rules from defra

Started by JackieBu on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 12:19
by JackieBu
xx
How to Re-Home Chickens?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 06:06
by New shoot
xx
Chickens new home, entertainment?

Started by Totty on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 19:58
by Totty

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 40 queries.