Today is my Barnevelder's Golden Egg Day

• 11 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Today is my Barnevelder's Golden Egg Day
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:40 »
Today Patience the Barnevelder laid her 50th egg.  :)

She began on 23 June with a 45g egg and they have gradually increased in size, until today they are 65g each.  The average weight of her eggs so far is just over 60g.  So that's more than 3 kg of eggs!   ???  That's a lot of eggs for a little chicken.

Patience is my only pullet who lays in the garden.  Her five sisters all lay in the nest boxes in the coop, but Patience was the first to start laying and I don't think she knew quite what to do.  So she made her own nest in the corner of the garden against a warm brick wall and laid her egg there.  She has laid in the same spot ever since.

Patience is a lovely little pullet who is very quiet.  She rarely makes a fuss after she has laid her egg.  She just goes to her water bowl and has a big drink, then goes back to check on her egg before heading off to forage with her sisters. 

If I make the mistake of taking her egg while she is having her drink she does make a fuss when she returns to her empty nest, so I try to wait until she has checked on it before I take it away, and I always remember to thank her for her lovely, glossy, dark brown egg. :)

Patience will never be a show girl as her lacing is far from perfect and her legs aren't an even colour.  But she was my first pullet to start to lay and has been the most consistent layer so far, with the most beautiful eggs.

Happy Golden Egg Day, Patience!  :D

Having a nap when she was just a youngster:

Searching for worms (photo taken the day before her first egg):

Her first eggs:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Today is my Barnevelder's Golden Egg Day
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04 »
Happy golden egg day Patience.  :) :lol:

Beano

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 16:16 »
Well done Patience.
A bit of a favorite I'd say.
El.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 17:01 »
sounds like patience is a well loved and lucky hen!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 17:19 »
She's lovely and ever so photogenic!  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 19:48 »
That is one gorgeous chook!!

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 20:07 »
What a beautiful looking bird  :D
Who cares if her colours aren't quite right she's lovely and what a fabulous egg layer! You must feel very proud of her.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 22:20 »
Thank you, I will pass on your congratulations. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 22:51 »
You must keep a lot of data to know this Lindeggs!

Barnevelders are lovely chx and one of my particular favourites.  I see what you mean with her lacing.  The double lacing is not quite there. 

Here's one of mine taken a couple of years ago who sadly died on Sunday,  Found her dead on the nestbox I think she was probably egg bound.  I had noticed a couple of days before hand she looked a bit under the weather but couldn't see anything too wrong when I examined her and put it down to moult as they seem to have started early this year.  She was 4 + years old and I'd hatched her and her sisters.  She was my first Barne to die and hither to had been the picture of health.  Just shows how quickly these things can happen.

Well done to patience and may she lay many more for you.
HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 00:13 »
Oh that's a shame about your Barnie, HF.  :(  She was a beautiful bird - her lacing is stunning! :)

I got all my pullets for a very good price from a breeder who was culling them for their obvious faults.  I told him I didn't care what they looked like as all I cared about was their sweet little personalities and plenty of eggs.  I got exactly what I had hoped for. :)  Patience's little sister Minnie-Rose is even further from the standard as she is a red-head rather than a brunette.  :lol:

I do keep a lot of records as I am so new to this chicken-keeping thing.  Keeping records helps me to get a handle on what's going on.  For example I recently changed brands of feed and since then the egg weight of all the chickens has dropped by several grams.  Very useful to know.

Also it's hard to find reliable information about NZ strains of birds.  It's all very well saying a Barnevelder will lay a certain number of eggs a year, but is that based on UK, US or Australian data?  NZ is pretty much a closed system when it comes to poultry as there are major import restrictions, partly to protect our native birds from exotic diseases.  I'm trying to encourage other local chicken-people to keep records so we can share.

I don't know how long my obsessive record keeping will continue, but I will do it at least until I feel confident to 'fly by the seat of my pants'.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38 »
I've got 3 little partridge wyandottes who are less than breed perfect from a breeder, but they are lovely little hens who lay well and I'm not breeding from them, so it's fine for me.

Patience is very pretty and those eggs look beautiful  :D

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 16:27 »
well done patience...you go girl!
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

xx
Today is the day!!

Started by Kathie on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 14:05
by Junie
xx
I've been very, very brave today . . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 16:53
by evie2
cheesy
Just got our First Egg today on the 23 of December

Started by peeppeeps on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2010, 09:19
by Bonniebean
xx
Big clean out today

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 21:57
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 40 queries.