Chickens, children and hygiene

• 16 Replies

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
Re: Chickens, children and hygiene
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 21:00 »
i wash my hands and don't worry about it
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

NormandyMary

Re: Chickens, children and hygiene
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 22:02 »
On the otherhand, or claw, you can't be too careful.  You should practise the strictest hygeine after your children have been handling poultry.  They live in a highly unwholesome environment and are always poking about in all sorts of dirty places where bacteria breeds rampant.  They carry numerous infections they can pass on.  So you should always disinfect your chickens after being handled by children.  There's no knowing what they might otherwise have picked up from your kids, Chicken Pox for example! :ohmy:

Seriously don't worry too much chickens pose very little health threat to people and generally the strains of infections chickens can get don't affect us and vice versa.  Chicken pox for example is nothing to do with chickens but called this as the rash it causes looks like plucked chicken skin.  It can't be passedon to chx.  However a well known exception is salmonella.  Handwashing after handling any animal is always advisable, the dog included but obviously in this case it would have to be paw washing. :wacko:
HF

You had me going with that first paragraph.  Brilliant!!

xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:24
by Springlands
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 15:49
by Springlands
xx
Who said chickens don't fly?

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 20:39
by madcat

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.