Chickens, children and hygiene

• 16 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Chickens, children and hygiene
« on: September 05, 2011, 20:29 »
OK,

Had the hens for a couple of months now and starting to get into a routine. My 3.5 year old daughter Lily is also starting to get obsessive about picking up the hens and tends to grab them in a two armed bear hug and hold them against her chest.

Now it obviously makes a lot of sense that hands need a good wash but how far do people take things? Do you change your clothes after cuddling the chickens? We also have a 7 month old baby and I suppose I'm a little worried if I come straight in from the hens and then cuddle her against the same t shirt that I was just holding a hen against.

Feel free to tell me I'm worrying about nothing and I'm expecting a full range of levels of "botherdness". I'm just not sure where I should be drawing the line as new to the whole hen thing. I'm not at all bothered about touching our dogs and then picking up the baby.

francais

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens, children and hygiene
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 20:51 »
I keep hand gel outside by the chickens for the kids for immediate cleansing. After cleaning them out I fully change my clothes, but with just picking them up I am happy just to wash my hands.

I have had mine since my youngest was about 3 months old and it just a case of taking general hygine into account in my opinion. 
Toni

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 00:04 »
... I'm not at all bothered about touching our dogs and then picking up the baby.

There you go, you've answered your own question!  :)  There's no need to be more concerned about the chickens than the dogs. 

I wash my hands after handling the chickens, or collecting eggs, or doing anything in the coop.  If I'm doing a particularly dusty/grubby job I have a pair of overalls I put on over my clothes, but that applies to anything I'm doing in the garden.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 13:33 »
You could always pop on an apron quickly for any chicken duties.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 14:16 »
nothing wrong with a bit of dirt and bacteria, in fact its rather good for you ;)

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 16:08 »
Ive got a box of those thin latex gloves that I use for anything to do with my animals, either the cats litter tray, the boys (goats) or when I had my chooks. However, I still washed my hands and then had a squirt of the alcohol hand gel which I also rubbed up my arms as well.
When I think of what I used to pick up as a child, and then probably put my hands in my mouth or had something to eat, its a wonder Im still alive. Im sure a lot of us "older folk" would relate to this. It didnt do us any harm though. Im sure a few honest germs are good for us, they help to increase our immune system.
Unless your children fall face first into a great pile of chook poo, I wouldnt worry!!

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 16:58 »
Just some antibacterial hand wash for us with a pinny and gloves for cleaning out :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

freckledbeck

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 17:20 »
Our chickens and ducks free range in the garden, so they poo everywhere! We have three kids, 17 years, 12 years and 2 years and to be honest I've never been overly worried about the hygiene side!  ::)
All my kids are fit and healthy, and (as far as I know) unscathed by their many encounters with chicken poo  :D

grinling

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 17:36 »
I do have plastic welly shoes for the garden and chooks as they roam/poo anywhere. Do remind the kids to wear shoes outside and to remove them coming in...totally deaf!!! Do use carpet shampoo on stairs, other floors washed.
Use rubber gloves for cleaning out, but a bag on the hand for daily use. Wash hands afterwards.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 20:14 »
Nothing wrong with hugging a chucken  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26 »
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a firm believer in "a peck of dirt..." just trying to take a sensible approach.

As I said I don't worry about the dogs and our kids and unlike some friends do not instantly reach for the dettol spray the minute one of our children gets a bit muddy. I guess for me it's being new to chickens, they're a bit of an unknown quantity in this regard plus their poo gets everywhere.

I know family hygiene is a deeply individual thing and sure that some people would be horrified by the hair, dust and muddy footprints that our two dogs create in the house but that's why we have laminate floors that don't show it too badly and they're easier to clean when we have the time.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 22:59 »
We have fond memories of toddler son found sitting on Grandma's kitchen floor, having pinched a carrot from the veg rack: he had a bite, the dog had a bite, child had another bite.... we were a little concerned, but the dog didn't catch anything, so all was well!

I think a relaxed attitude with your own pets (I'd be more cautious with unknown animals) is fine: basic thorough hand washing is all we've ever done, unless it was really really revolting....

Our kids are rarely off school with upset tummies or colds - maybe their systems have developed good strong defences.
ManicMum

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 01:29 »
On the otherhand, or claw, you can't be too careful.  You should practise the strictest hygeine after your children have been handling poultry.  They live in a highly unwholesome environment and are always poking about in all sorts of dirty places where bacteria breeds rampant.  They carry numerous infections they can pass on.  So you should always disinfect your chickens after being handled by children.  There's no knowing what they might otherwise have picked up from your kids, Chicken Pox for example! :ohmy:

Seriously don't worry too much chickens pose very little health threat to people and generally the strains of infections chickens can get don't affect us and vice versa.  Chicken pox for example is nothing to do with chickens but called this as the rash it causes looks like plucked chicken skin.  It can't be passedon to chx.  However a well known exception is salmonella.  Handwashing after handling any animal is always advisable, the dog included but obviously in this case it would have to be paw washing. :wacko:
HF
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:03 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

kegs

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 17:06 »
and are always poking about in all sorts of dirty places where bacteria breeds rampant.  They carry numerous infections they can pass on.  So you should always disinfect your chickens after being handled by children

:lol: :lol:
In the case of my 13 year old son that is sooo true!!

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 17:46 »
I do remember a friend recounting a story of finding her son under the kitchen table with their king charles spaniel and a packet of dog treats - "One for me, one for you, one for me etc....."

xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:24
by Springlands
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 15:49
by Springlands
xx
Who said chickens don't fly?

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 20:39
by madcat

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.