Advice - clearing our plot - getting re-started!

• 7 Replies

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
Advice - clearing our plot - getting re-started!
« on: March 18, 2012, 18:44 »
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have some advice please.  I have had a lot of experience of growing veggies, however I seem to have lost my way and, now feel totally overwhelmed by our two allotments.

A bit of background info… we took on the first plot about 4 years ago, this is our 3rd full growing season.  For the first 3 years we grew veggies direct in the ground, however the site is heavy clay and, although brilliant for retaining the goodness the plants need, its not so good during the winter and the whole plot is like jelly – you sink as do planks of wood you may stand on to get to your veggies for harvesting.  So, we have decided to convert plot no.1 to raised beds.  It now looks awash with mud, no structure, a total mess and although almost weed free, its quiet disheartening to see especially as other plot holders used to come to us with compliments and ask us for advice.

Last year the plotholder next door to us was kicked off his plot and we were offered it as a second plot as there was no-one on the waiting list.  This plot we decided to keep as a lovely fruit plot, with raised beds.  We cleared half this plot last year, planting a number of fruit bushes and trees.  The second half the plot is covered in black plastic to kill the grass, and keep weeds at bay, on top of this plastic are a load of pallets we collected to make the edges to our raised beds and also a dismantled greenhouse which we were given and we need to erect, we cant do this until we clear the plastic and lay the footings.

What are your suggestions how we tackle both these plots.  Do we concentrate on getting the beds built this week (we are on a/l), do we concentrate on clearing the 2nd plot and getting rid of the black plastic.  Also, what would you use for the base of the paths – plastic sheeting with holes pierced in it perhaps, or weed suppressant membrane or nothing?  We have ample supply of free wood chippings which make excellent path material.

Lastly I am well aware that the sowing season will soon be upon us, its too early yet to so direct as the soil is a bit too damp yet and we are still getting light ground frosts.  Is it too late to improve the raised beds with horse manure which is well rotted?

I’m sorry about the length of my post, but I need so much advice as to what to do next and will be very grateful for all your ideas and suggestions as to how to tackle these two plots.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: Advice - clearing our plot - getting re-started!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 18:57 »
if i was you i would give up one of the plots - seems too much to control the both of them?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 18:59 »
Don't despair, if the first advice I can offer -- it is not as bad as it seems.

If you want raised beds on Plot 1, get organised with a plan on paper, with beds that are easily made from your pallet wood dimensions without too much sawing.

Paths (imho) are best created out of at leat two inches of wood chip over heavy duty weed suppressant membrane, which makes for safe walking underfoot throughout the year. OUrs are like this (and our soil was like yours too)

You can then organise a rotattion system so that year by year the soil in each bed is improved ie manure/compost ect as appropriate, and then keep any empty beds covered with weighed down black plastic all winter so that waterlogging is reduced in future.

Ours started off almost below ground level once we had taken out masses of stones from the clay but we have completed two years now and they are almost full.

Once your beds are made, you can start to plant if the soil is dry enough. If not, you will need to wait a while.

Then you can move onto dealing with the rest of Plot 2, and put in footings for your greenhouse and build it. Even if the rest of that plot stays covered, it will come to no harm until you are ready to use it.

I hope that helps and that you can feel more in control again, and enjoy your plots

Best of luck with it all

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 19:10 »
Hi Sunshineband

Thank you for your advice, hubby agrees with what you suggest and this is what he wanted to do so now you advise the same will follow your plan.

The reason we had the second plot was cus the previous tennent let his greenhouse get into disrepair and the plot was dangerous with broken glass scattered across not only his plot but also it was blown across our plot too as panes of glass were blown out by the wind.  We spent ages making the plot safe, and had to filter gravel paths to get the glass out of the gravel.  We then discovered a load of the glass had been smashed and buried under the gravel and then when I sat on some plastic it cracked and I sat on a pile of glass panes.

Last year we spent a lot of time preparing for our wedding - most of it was home-made, so although the council offered the plot to us, we took it on with the understanding we wouldnt get it all cleared until this year.

Now, we need to tackle it, so, although its not too much for us, I just wasnt sure where to start and felt I lost my way!

A massive thank you to Sunshineband for your encouragement!  We shall set too tomorrow!

Christine

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 14:58 »
You haven't lost your way - it was just a very important wedding got in the way.  :D

Now that this big event is out of the way you can turn your attention back to being allotment holders and make use of your experience - should help the bank account as it's a nice time consuming occupation getting plots just how you want (saves spending on something to do she says laughing). Likewise the veg and fruit should be good for the household budget.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 19:59 »
Congratulations on your wedding ourveggiepatch  :D :D

Don't forget to take photos of your plot so that you can see what a difference you will be making as you go along  :) :)

grinling

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 20:29 »
When I took on my overgrown one, it took a good year to clear the least boggy sides, loads of manure added, excellent crops after that, then I moved!!
Take your time, if raised beds in and planted, you have time to concentrate on the other.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 20:49 »
Nil desperandum, it will all come together in the end.  Can you get loads of sharp sand dug into where you are going to have the raised beds?  I've used untreated pallet wood for raised beds previously and found they last for two to three years, more than enough time to plan something more permanent.

Growing in this way is slightly different and you can grow things closer together than is normally considered desirable.  It is said that what you lose on the paths you gain by the closer spacings.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
clearing weeds advice?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 13:24
by snow white
clip
Advice on clearing veg patch

Started by SarahC375 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 16:00
by jambop
xx
Clearing brambles - advice please!

Started by Ferris on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 08:46
by horsepooisgood

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 38 queries.