Re: Tomato crop
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 14:33 »
Great to hear of our successes all.
Well done.
Aled

missmoneypenny

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 22:10 »
Pride comes before a fall...had a great crop of outdoor Black Russian and Ferline. Have eaten toms every day for the last 4 weeks. Absolute beauties especially the BRs. Had  lined up a few on the windowsill and noticed an ooze coming out. Moped up, chucked the affected tom away. Did this 3 times before it occurred to me - it's the dreaded blight.
My plan's to hot foot it o the allotment tomorrow, pick as much as poss, make a huge bath of sauce and preserve.
Still, even the return of the blight hasn't spoiled the enjoyment- I've got my memories! There's something unique about a tomato patch.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 07:58 »
Its my forst summer with a greenhouse,so toms are in and have grown well and produced over 25lbs of fruit,i grew 5 different types,but we only liked gardeners delight and tumbling tom,so the rest have been given to friends.
Much better results than than growing outside,last year i got 3 toms total off 2 plants a big waste of time :(.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 19:38 »
Another vote for aspirin here. I sprayed mine twice earlier in the year. All the outdoor plants have succumbed, but whereas in previous years they've gone from blight to nothing in 48 hours, they have soldiered on regardless and produced fruit that's absolutely fine.

The only problem was when I bought the aspirin in the chemist and he asked me who it was for - got a very strange look when I told him it was for my tomato plants!

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28 »
We've grown several Country Taste beefy toms this year, and they're not bad, but some have quite a lot of white kernel.

Can anyone recommend a beef tom which doesn't have this?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 14:13 »
I grow Chocolate Cherokee most years and they have a slightly firmer centre to them, but its still edible.  Not too many seeds and lots of usable flesh for eating fresh or turning into sauce.    This is the latest giant I've staggered in with.  That's 1lb 6oz in old money  :ohmy:

I save seeds of these so pm me if you want some Mr G  ;)
IMG_2353 (640x480).jpg

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 20:41 »
News, pming you as we speak...

;0)

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 15:14 »
Great crops!  Lovely St Pierre, Marmande, Roma, San Marzano, tigerella and Costoluto F. Dead chuffed with them

My husband came back with some bits from the shop and yep he bought a punnet of tomatoes  :wacko: :wacko: :mad: :mad: :( :nowink:  He does my head in

xx
My tomato crop

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:44
by JaneS
xx
Tomato crop expected

Started by mixdiver on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:41
by Jonajo
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 39 queries.