When is a cucumber ready for picking?

• 5 Replies

ghost61

When is a cucumber ready for picking?
« on: June 23, 2013, 13:45 »
I picked up a cucumber plant from a local nursery that didn't have a variety name on it.  Last year I failed miserably when trying to germinate cucumber seeds so bought this one as insurance. Needless to say, I now have 9 plants, all growing strongly, and gave some away as well.

The nameless one has 10 fruits on it so far - it is about 3ft tall.  Three are about 6inches long, they are not spiny, and are very straight. Do you,think I could eat them now, or will they be bitter?  Am thinking of using hubby as the guinea pig, but don't want to put him through any uneccessary torture!  :D

Totty

Re: When is a cucumber ready for picking?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 15:09 »
Usually the flower end will look round as opposed to pointed. Try one while little though, you don't want too many fruits getting over big on a smallish plant. If you keep a few plants, you will be picking everyday, might as well start today!

Totty

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 18:04 »
I'm glad you asked this question - I was thinking the very same thing myself.  I think I may be picking my very first ever cuke in the next couple of days!  :D

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 18:22 »
Yep, me too. Just love em, so different to the shop bought ones. I also have some lemon cukes on the go and can't wait to try them. Has anyone tasted them? Are they really lemony?

seaside

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 18:27 »
My Telepathy cucumbers are doing well despite having nearly lost them at the beginning due to a silly watering mistake. Am shielding them with fleece to keep them a bit more humid.
If they continue to survive I will be needing more people to give them to. I didn't expect all four to survive. Several babies and ETA for the first cucumber eating is roughly 10 days. Delighted with that.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 20:16 »
My Telepathy cucumbers are doing well despite having nearly lost them at the beginning due to a silly watering mistake. Am shielding them with fleece to keep them a bit more humid.
If they continue to survive I will be needing more people to give them to. I didn't expect all four to survive. Several babies and ETA for the first cucumber eating is roughly 10 days. Delighted with that.
I'm growing miniature whites.  Its my first go at cukes and I'm very pleased with them.  I have three plants that are full of dozens of baby cukes.  Sadly, only one is looking 'ready to go' in the next couple of days.  I say sadly cos they're only 2" long when they need to be picked!  Hee hee!  My son and I will toss a coin for the first one!  I grew these because its only me and him that like cucumber here so we can pick and eat them all in one go.  I'm hoping the rest will catch up soon!  They look like they will  ;)

xx
Picking cabbage...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:37
by sunshineband
xx
Pumpkin picking when?

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
Picking Sweetcorn

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2017, 14:59
by Salmo
xx
And now the wasps are picking on me.

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 22:36
by peterjf

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.