Artificial Lawns

• 12 Replies

mrs bouquet

Artificial Lawns
« on: February 19, 2017, 14:21 »
I so really do not want to offend so many dedicated lawn enthusiasts with this  thread, but I have recently thought about replacing my lawn.  It is only very small, and it takes longer to get the mower out of the shed,and down the steps.  Then to clean mower up and sweep etc, takes ages, whilst the actual cut takes about 5 minutes.  Then of course the edges have to be done !!
I have had 3 samples I requested by a Lawn Company, but I know sport pitches have had some bad press.

Does anybody know about these products and all the etc etc, that it involves ?  And will I spend a lot of money and then live to regret it .   So what do you think folks, regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

ghost61

Re: Artificial Lawns
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 16:17 »
I have bought some to cover the mud that my hens turned my back lawn into.  Once I can let the hens out (May being the earliest) I'm only going to use the artificial grass when we have guests or parties, so that the back garden looks 'normal'.  So I won't be using a membrane or compacted and underneath, just going to level it off, tread it down to a solid base and lay the grass over it - it's a circular area, so the grass has been cut to fit.  I do have some long fixing nails that can be used to keep it in place too.  When the party's over, the grass will be rolled up and stored until the next time.  We bought a 40mm thick thatch, and it does look quite authentic.  Total cost about £200. 

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 16:56 »
I have bought some to cover the mud that my hens turned my back lawn into.  Once I can let the hens out (May being the earliest) I'm only going to use the artificial grass when we have guests or parties, so that the back garden looks 'normal'.  So I won't be using a membrane or compacted and underneath, just going to level it off, tread it down to a solid base and lay the grass over it - it's a circular area, so the grass has been cut to fit.  I do have some long fixing nails that can be used to keep it in place too.  When the party's over, the grass will be rolled up and stored until the next time.  We bought a 40mm thick thatch, and it does look quite authentic.  Total cost about £200.

That's a great idea

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 16:56 »
I don't really know anything about artificial grass, but a couple of years ago, when I was taking a college course, one of our group told us that she had replaced her small back lawn with artificial grass, and she loved it.  We used to joke that she popped outside once a week and gave it a quick vacuum just to pick up the bits.  She said she loved it because it gave the garden somewhere to sit, and it set off the flower beds, but without the need to mow it or to store the necessary mower, edging shears etc. in her small house.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 17:19 »
I think it is a great idea and if my back "lawn" doesn't improve it's coming up and artificial going down. I do know a young family who have it and they love it. The children can go out anytime and the garden always looks tidy. My daughter is contemplating doing it but it would cost her quite a lot as her garden space is quite big. as with everything else, I think the best advice is to get the best you can afford. You won't regret it!!!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 17:39 »
Our sons got it, quite a large area, it cost quite a lot as it had to be dug down, hardcore & sand put down. They've got a dog so no muddy footprints. Can be washed down & disinfected easily. I think if I had just a small area I'd be tempted by some paving or slate clippings.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 17:57 »
One of the schools I worked at had a large circle of artificial turf laid as part of a "Story Garden" and it was very realistic, looking as though it had a little dead thatch in it. It had a weed suppressant membrane underneath it and both were secured to the ground with large headed plastic "nails" which were hidden well by the grass itself.

Under the membrane the ground was levelled with cheap sand, as there were some deepish dips

All in all it was excellent and is still there years later. Comfortable to sit on too

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 13:29 »
Just started doing my edges which i do with scissors,  i know i do have the propper edging ones but they stick keep locking and make my hands ache .
i think its a good ides and will save you loads of more time to enjoy your gardeen , next door are considering it but they have 4 dogs and a family down the road did their front , the kids have a footie net and are out playing on it every night .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

RubyR3d

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33 »
Major downside not at all wildlife friendly. What with paving over front gardens, decking and now plastic grass its no wonder british wildlife is at a critical level.  :(

grinling

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 19:14 »
Very easy to install. you need a whaker plate to harden the top layer, then a layer of sand. Ours is attached to battens and then sand is brushed in on top. Had it for over 14 years.
Easily available at tp/build a base etc.
It is easy to maintain.
At the time we were buying you could also get it in blue.
Schools have problems because children wear trainers and not studded boots.

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 15:32 »
Next door said they were going to get artificial  grass but she has 5 dogs , i would think it would be a bit smelly as i hopped over the fence last week to trim my trees and it was a little stinky to say the least .
chrissie b

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 16:23 »
Oh, that's revolting.  I was told you can just clean up after 1 dog, but 5, she needs to clean up whats there. Poor you.  Mrs Bouquet

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 18:28 »
She does clean up  ut in the mean time it can be smelly specially when the warmer weather starts , they said they would put down the artificial stuffbut its so expencive and she says shes moving so i dont think it will happen .
chrissie b

xx
Removing artificial grass

Started by ljshguighuf on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2022, 15:22
by Subversive_plot
xx
Lawns (again!)

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 22:43
by viettaclark
xx
New Lawns

Started by Sally A on General Gardening

36 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 20:40
by richyrich7
xx
lawns

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 05:19
by DD.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.