Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Re: Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05 »
Quick question, on the bean frame when you tie in the strings and let them hang down do you attach them to something on the floor? or just leave them free hanging?
I think on the Munty type frame (tm)  you tie all the strings to a long beanpole to anchor it, and peg that to the ground. 
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2010, 11:08 »
Quick question, on the bean frame when you tie in the strings and let them hang down do you attach them to something on the floor? or just leave them free hanging?

I use galvanised wire cut into suitable lengths, straightened out apart from a "U" loop at one end which is hooked over the horizontal pole, the other end is pushed into the soil.

Simple, can't flap about, re-useable, and makes taking down the bines at the end of the season much easier (just pull on the loops and leave the plants behind!)

(Not quite telling the truth here by the way, my Munty frame is made from angle-iron so I drilled holes in the cross-member to insert the wires, although having worn out several drill-bits and my drill sharpener, on reflection I didn't really need to do that!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spana

« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12 »

If you are using string, fix the bottom pole up from the ground a little so you can get your hand and the string under.  Saves a lot of grazed knuckles :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2010, 14:37 »

I use galvanised wire cut into suitable lengths, straightened out apart from a "U" loop at one end which is hooked over the horizontal pole, the other end is pushed into the soil.

Simple, can't flap about, re-useable, and makes taking down the bines at the end of the season much easier (just pull on the loops and leave the plants behind!)

(Not quite telling the truth here by the way, my Munty frame is made from angle-iron so I drilled holes in the cross-member to insert the wires, although having worn out several drill-bits and my drill sharpener, on reflection I didn't really need to do that!)

Sounds sensible thinking to me - I love "easy" / time efficient.... saves miles of string too.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Spana

« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2010, 15:10 »
Does the wire get hot in the sun :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2010, 22:03 »

Why should it?

a) It is quite light coloured and shiny so would reflect most of the sun's heat, b) even if it didn't it would conduct the heat away into the soil,  c) it's supposed to be smothered in bean bines!), d) what sun are you referring to; am I missing something?   :nowink:

Spana

« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2010, 22:29 »

d) what sun are you referring to; am I missing something?   :nowink:

:lol:

Its just that i put some wires on a south facing post for a clematis to climb and they get really hot :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2010, 22:38 »

:lol:
Its just that i put some wires on a south facing post for a clematis to climb and they get really hot :blink:

What colour is your wire? Dark colours absorb radiation much more than light colours (try touching a black-painted piece of wood in the sun and then a white piece.)

Can only reassure you that my beans do not come off the plants pre-cooked!

Spana

« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2010, 23:16 »
ah... :wub: its that silvery wire that florists use :wub:

1jim

« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2010, 09:18 »
I am going to try and build one of these this year,
Is 2x2 pressure treated timber ok (its cheaper than the 3x3stuff or would this be better)
I was planning on buying 12foot long timber and cutting to size, planned 6foot tall piece and the short one being around 3 foot with about a foot and a half on each bit below ground if that makes sense- will that be enough to hold them in place?

I see on some pictures some people are using bamboo canes as the bottom tie for the sting, is this ok or do I need some more 2x2timber to brace the frame and use this as an anchor as well?

thanks
jim

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Munty bean frame questions
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2012, 20:57 »
Hi guys I have built my Munty frame but am not sure of a couple of things.

Here it is with the high side facing SE ish!

I'm going to plant runners in 1 half and climbing french in t'other 9 a side but would they be better planted inside or outside the frame? 

I've got the weed membrane down inside for ease but do you think dwarf beans would be ok on the inside cut through the membrane?

I've also planted 6 broad bean plants along one end on the outside but am not sure if that was a good idea?  What say you?

Cheers

prakash_mib

Re: Munty bean frame questions
« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2012, 21:42 »
sorry to crash your idea and i may be wrong.
shouldn't the short side be facing south east? the plats are going to grow from that side.
my word that looks sturdy (you can grow pigs on it and they wouldnt fall. good job).
 underneath you can grow salad crops but again you have two turn the sides.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2012, 21:50 »
That'd be about right coz I built it the other way round and turned it coz I thought it was wrong, lol!!

It's not a big job to move around as I've screwed the corners to stakes in the ground so swung 180 degrees it should still fit between them.  The membrane is stapled to the bottom timber so that would move with it!

I've built it so the whole thing can be lifted along the plot when I rotate the crops  ;)

It's got the tongues wagging coz they've never seen owt like it on the lotty.  My neigbour said funny place to build a greenhouse, lol!!   :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2012, 21:58 »
with the tall front edge to the south you get enough light under the frame to grow stuff like salads or courgettes ;)

Sketch from original  Munty Frame thread ;)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50801.msg402866#msg402866

Aunt Sally's looks lush with the beans and some sweetpeas on the front  :D
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50801.msg76525#msg76525

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 22:02 by mumofstig »

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2012, 21:58 »
Looks a good solid sturcture that.  :)

Thinking i may do one this year - as you say the old boys down the site wont have a clue what its for and im sure they wont approve!!!!

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 56 queries.