cat eating layers pellets

• 12 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
cat eating layers pellets
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:37 »
Does any one know if a cat eating layer pellets will do the cat any harm? As mine has given up trying to hunt the chickens and is now going staright to the chickens feeder instead.

maxyboo

Re: cat eating layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 21:32 »
Can't say for sure but wouldn't have thought it would be harmful as it is a chicken feed. On the pets at home website one reviewer of dodson and horell  layer pellets says she uses the pellets for cat litter. Her cat eats cat litter and she was advised by a breeder to try layer pellets for litter instead.
I don't know much about chicken feed but if they contain any kind of wormer/ medication I would be wary. Personally I would err on the side of caution and try to prevent the cat eating it anyway. I hope someone more informed comes along soon.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39 »
I wouldn't think it would do too much harm if the cat just eats a few.  A lot of pellets have things like fish meal in them, which is probably why they smell good to a cat.

Layers pellets shouldn't be medicated, as the eggs will go into the human food chain so they can't contain anything that will pass on to us.  However they would be high in calcium, so they wouldn't be so good for your cat to eat lots, over a long period.  But a nibble now and again should be fine in my opinion.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:19 »
cheers for that, it doesnt seem to have done him any harm so far.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:20 »
If my kids when young could eat dry dog food and come to no harm, then a few chicken pellets won't harm a cat  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 20:34 »
I have the other problem! Ducks breaking into the kitchen to eat the cat food if we leave the backdoor open. Luckally they don't seem to have worked out the catflap yet!

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 20:39 »
Our "head" chicken once stole a piece of bacon from the terrier. Yes.  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 16:25 »
Our Jack Russell took a liking to layers pellets last year and ended up going to the vet with constipation! She still believes it was OH who poked a finger in her behind :D
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 16:43 »
Oh dear!  :D :nowink:

evie2

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 18:13 »
Our hens like to hang around the rabbit hutches, they know they can get steal some rabbit food but they've now worked out they can steal from the bowl inside the hutch, the rabbits are not amused  >:(

They also come in and help themselves to the cats water and food, a closed door holds no barrier to Tinker, she just comes through the cat flap but Freya cat has been known to nibble on layers pellets  :mad:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Dominic

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:36 »
my dogs were on a half dog food half chicken food diet until recently, none dead yet.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

spottymint

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 21:19 »
Caught the neighbours cat eating wild bird SEED ! Yes, wheat & sunflowers.  :ohmy:

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 22:36 »
One of my cats has a very peculiar taste, she loves fruit (peaches, oranges, cherries, absoluetely kills for melons and pips, she even fishes melon pips out of the bin), eats olives, drinks herbal tea.

And nearly all farm dogs will eat cattle nuts/ pellets and all they do is put on serious weight :S

xx
Cat eating more

Started by MoreWhisky on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 19:18
by ANHBUC
sad
Stick eating

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 19:54
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.