What is eating my red peppers?

• 11 Replies

Floody

• Sensible Mole
What is eating my red peppers?
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:44 »
I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me what pest is eating my red peppers.  I've looked at the RHS site and read the advice they give about pests and diseases relating to capiscums and there is no mention of anything like this.  They are grown in a greenhouse, in a rich mix of soil and compost that I put down a few months ago just as the greenhouse was erected, so there's not much chance of it being a soil borne disease. 

There is a definite bore hole at the top of the peppers and whatever is in there seems to be munching away from the inside.  Almost all the peppers on the plant have been affected in this way.  The strange thing is that the yellow pepper plant, just a couple of feet away, is (touch wood) not affected at all.

Any ideas what it is and how to deal with it?   :unsure:
red pepper problems.JPG
red pepper problems (2).JPG

Lardman

Re: What is eating my red peppers?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:50 »
Looks to be pepper maggot to me (although I stand to be corrected) http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/pprmag.htm

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52 »
I feel your pain - there are some small caterpillars inside some of mine  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00 »
Crikey  :ohmy: - certainly sounds like the pepper maggot and difficult to think what else it could be, but there are very few references on the web suggesting they are found outside the US and the Caribbean.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03 »
this maybe our version   :unsure:
tomato moth caterpillar can devastate tomato plants (and peppers),

http://www.pelicanplants.co.uk/tomato-pests-diseases-identify-solve-them/tomato-pests/tomato-moth-caterpillar

Floody

• Sensible Mole
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 13:04 »
My peppers are surrounded by tomato plants, all in close proximity, and all my tommies are fine.  I also don't understand why the red pepper plant is blighted with this thing but the yellow pepper is untouched.

A maggot from the Caribbean... how exotic!  :)

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 19:24 »
ah someone linked me to your post after posting similar.  Like you mine are very close to tomatoes which are untouched.  Unfortunately I didnt photograph mine, but no doubt I will be able to fine another example tomorrow, to show you! :(
Found this http://homeguides.sfgate.com/something-eating-holes-green-peppers-93228.html  this is my first year of growing so don't know anything about these Bt pesticides, sure someone with more experience will be able to tell us if they are a no or a go.
Have you opened yours?  I think i will do that on my next find, I will also note the colour.

Update:   Ah the Bt stuff doesnt seem available in the UK. Back to the drawing board
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 19:26 by cammi »
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 19:51 »
Bt pesticides are a controversial subject as there are different Bt versions, some of which are GMO related, hence maybe why it might not be available in the UK. It has however been considered an organic pesticide for years for small scale growers like us, but there are issues concerning doseage levels on very big commercial crops, and the effect on beneficials.
I've grown greenhouse peppers and tomatoes for 10 years and have never been unlucky enough to have your problem. Odds are you'll be fine next year without the need for pesticide. Daily vigilance while watering is the best answer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 19:52 by beesrus »

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19 »
I get tomato moth caterpillar on something most years. They each seem to attack only one plant. I didn't get it last year when I put netting over the door to the poly tunnel. Done it again this year, none so far.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:24 by Headgardener22 »

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 21:58 »
yes i wondered about putting over the door and window next year

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 14:51 »
It may be tomato moth (Lacanobia) or cabbage moth (Mamestra) caterpillars. Netting is an excellent first line of defence, light or pheromone traps will tell you when they are flying (i.e. will be laying eggs) BUT thats expensive, then vigilant checking. At the end of the season the last generation will pupate and drop into the ground, ready to emerge next spring, so if you dig over the soil, look out for the shiny brown pupae and remove them. There is a commercial Bt product we can use in organic peppers called Dipel, but it's not available to amateurs. It's funny how they prefer one variety to another sometimes. In our 3ha block with 3 different varieties, the majority of them seem to prefer yellow peppers at the moment!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 15:09 »
I have similar holes in my peppers and my aubergines :(

clip
What’s eating my peppers?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 14:51
by sunshineband
xx
What is eating my chillies and peppers?

Started by Jenny J on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2012, 12:48
by shokkyy
xx
Peppers

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 12:38
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
Are these peppers??

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 13:08
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.