Foxes in rural or urban

• 6 Replies

grinling

Foxes in rural or urban
« on: April 23, 2019, 21:30 »
It appears that some people who have managed to trap an urban fox have illegally release it into the rural areas, obviously thinking they are doing it a favour.
A farmer lady I know, comes out to find a fox sitting next to her chicken run. Calls hubby, who appears with a gun and walks right up to it and shoots it.
Rural fox would have run.

rowlandwells

Re: Foxes in rural or urban
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00 »
although foxes are mainly rural there seems to be getting more town foxes that unfortunately are not used to rural life so its sad that people take it on themselves to trap and put town foxes back to rural surroundings some mite call it there natural habitat but they can't adapt to this way of life because there used to scavenging dustbins and any unwanted food that's been thrown away in a town environment and not hunting for food like the rural ones

but having said that many foxes are hunted down as they pose a threat to farmers that rear pheasant's and not forgetting the old tradition of fox hunting that is supposed to be banned is it ?

although I feel sad for the chickens that could be the foxes next meal equally I feel its wrong to take town foxes back to a rural environment to a certain death one way or another

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:05 »
4pm yesterday, I thought whats that on the lawn.   Walked down to within a few feet and the fox looked at me, I looked at him and said hallo.   He curled back up and went to sleep, and then looked at me a few times through the window.   He looked very well, and handsome, I left him to get about his life.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 13:38 »
This really is a difficult problem because they are part of our animal world but they cause a lot of havoc with chickens and other prey. I'm not a lover of fox-hunting but one of my late rellies used to be a farmer and Master of the Hunt and it was the only way to keep them under control.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 22:00 »
I don't mind professional pest control but I don't think making a game of it is right.

I bet the poor fox Grinling mentioned was looking up and the approaching husband and glancing at the chickens and saying... "Um, are these what chicken nuggets are made from? I guess they might be but they are not in the usual cardboard boxes? By the way - do you have any BBQ sauce cos it is my favourite..."

Where we stay, the foxes are fully rural and extremely cautious. If they do have to cross in the open they do it at a dead run.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 22:11 »
This is why I said the fox was probably a dumped urban fox.
The farmer has a young child, chickens and lambs as well as other livestock.
It is illegal to release animals (except protected species) and off loading in an area with other animals/birds competing for food is daft.
Animal activists have released lots of farmed baby pheasants....very difficult for local wildlife to compete.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31 »
I don't mind professional pest control but I don't think making a game of it is right.

I bet the poor fox Grinling mentioned was looking up and the approaching husband and glancing at the chickens and saying... "Um, are these what chicken nuggets are made from? I guess they might be but they are not in the usual cardboard boxes? By the way - do you have any BBQ sauce cos it is my favourite..."

Where we stay, the foxes are fully rural and extremely cautious. If they do have to cross in the open they do it at a dead run.
I think if i were a fox i would prefer to take my chances with the hunt than be in the infra red sights on a high powered rifle.
The last thing the huntsmen ever wanted was no foxes on their ground.
Nothing good ever comes of releasing semi tame wildlife be it foxes or seals .
Keeping a healthy distance from mankind is a good thing !

Another thing all gardeners can look forward to is the withdrawal of the general licence on pest species of birds which is going to happen soon .
The gardener thinning out the local woodpigeon with an air rifle is liable to end up in court if they do not apply for and get a licence costing hundreds of pounds.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 45 queries.