dam rain and winds

• 10 Replies

Larry the lep

dam rain and winds
« on: March 16, 2008, 14:45 »
i got a my 1st green house last week its 8 foot long by 6 foot wide i wanted to put it up this weekend but its too wet to lay slaps for the green house to rest on arrrggg
Dam those danceing fox cubs

bimbler

dam rain and winds
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 15:04 »
Larry I can totally sympathise My plan was simple saturday replace plastic panels in greenhouse sunday continue winter digging allotment actual activity sitting in front of computer realising how much better than me other people are at this gardening lark.
GOOD FOOD, GOOD WINE, GOOD COMPANY

Larry the lep

dam rain and winds
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 15:19 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  yer but its fun trying to beat them and trying new things i want to put a hame made self watering system in the greenhouse im thinking of a water butt up high and a hose with lots of holes in laying on top of seed trays

Jen

• Experienced Member
dam rain and winds
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 17:29 »
Oh i know just what you mean, went up to the plot yesterday..sun came out, warmed up a bit, got a few spuds in the ground..lovely it was had a chat with a couple of g.o.bs,woke this morning to wind, rain, cold, agrrrrrr so frustrating, been potting up in shed but not the same as getting physical out-side is it. Sorry about the rant folks, just want to get out there and do some-thing.

compostqueen

dam rain and winds
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 22:06 »
my soaker hose off the lotty butt doesn't work despite it being raised up on about four breeze blocks  :?

folks says it needs mains water but it didn't say that on the sales blurb

Oh well you win some ..;..

jimroden

• Experienced Member
dam rain and winds
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:24 »
Don't even mention greenhouses mine is the Bain of my life at the moment the winds 3 weeks ago took 3 or 4 panes out the winds over the last week took 6 and all have been replaced and now there is a dammed leak in it I went down last night after some heavy rain over night and it was soaking wet in there all my heater was covered in water and the geraniums were drowning  :roll:  :roll:

jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

tallulah

dam rain and winds
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:51 »
Greenhouses - I love em, when they're not trying to kill me.  After weeks of dreadful weather, and concrete base and frame erection taking several weeks, the time arrived for the glazing.  One hour in, and I was grasping my near-amputated arm at the elbow!  Happily I had a very thick fleece on, or the consequences would have been dire.  I'm all healed now, but very wary of the greenhouse.  And its still not glazed!  I've got the guy I bought it from coming to do it, as it really gave me a scare having a heavy sheet of glass slide off its moorings on the roof and land on me!  Still, can't wait till its finished!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
dam rain and winds
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:37 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
Greenhouses - I love em, when they're not trying to kill me.  After weeks of dreadful weather, and concrete base and frame erection taking several weeks, the time arrived for the glazing.  One hour in, and I was grasping my near-amputated arm at the elbow!  Happily I had a very thick fleece on, or the consequences would have been dire.  I'm all healed now, but very wary of the greenhouse.  And its still not glazed!  I've got the guy I bought it from coming to do it, as it really gave me a scare having a heavy sheet of glass slide off its moorings on the roof and land on me!  Still, can't wait till its finished!

tell me about it when we went to fetch ours I nearly cut my little finger off right at the bottom I nearly severed my tendon which would of resulted in my finger being taken off all together. I caught a pane on glass that was dropping ( What an idiot  :roll:  :roll: ) I used to be a butcher/slaughter man  so I should know better than to catch sharp objects. The 80 year old man was exelent he took reall good care of me as i nearly passed out with the amount of blood i saw it was more shock seeing my finger dangling that did it more so than the loss of blood

Vampyer&Angel

Killer greenhouses
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:48 »
I got a polytunnel for Christmas, it has not tried to kill me, was easy to put up and survived all the recent wind and storms without any problems. It is a great place to carry on plotting when the weather is bad! glass doesnt have the class. Sorry about that I just felt like a quick gloat! :oops:
Too many seeds so little plot

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: Killer greenhouses
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 10:17 »
Quote from: "Vampyer&Angel"
I got a polytunnel for Christmas, it has not tried to kill me, was easy to put up and survived all the recent wind and storms without any problems. It is a great place to carry on plotting when the weather is bad! glass doesnt have the class. Sorry about that I just felt like a quick gloat! :oops:

yea but your from Loughborough so your posh anyway  :lol:  :lol:

Larry the lep

dam rain and winds
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 15:49 »
good news

i put the 1st part of the slaps down today   :D  2nd weather staying the same .....please the god of weather let it be the same as today. for the base of the green house   :D  thanks for the horror storys with the glass   :roll:  mmm i cant wait i will post photos whan its done.

xx
high winds and sweetcorn

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 10:18
by Goosegirl
xx
Runners battered by recent winds

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 16:41
by Totty
xx
High Winds & Polycarbonate Greenhouse

Started by jmx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 20:25
by WG.
xx
Strong winds and heavy showers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2019, 20:36
by wighty

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.