Runners battered by recent winds

• 8 Replies

Totty

Runners battered by recent winds
« on: May 27, 2013, 17:37 »
Has anybody else's been hit hard by winds lately. Got mine hardened off and were just right for planting out. Big first set of leaves and the runner just starting to stretch. Been away for a few days and he wind has damaged a lot of these big leaves. The growing tips look ok as the wind can't catch them as much as the leaves.
Bearing that in mind do you reckon they will grow on ok?

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runners battered by recent winds
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 17:41 »
Yes, as long as they don't get any more of a battering  ;)

Totty

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 21:33 »
I've ordered some more seed now anyway. If any of em don't pick up I'll direct sow some at the end of the week.

Totty

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 22:56 »
Was going to put mine out last week but saw that strong winds were forecast so I've held off. Trouble is they have to go out some time and there's not much we can do about the weather. :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11 »
I draped netting over mine for the first couple of weeks until, hopefully, they were strong enough to stand a battering.
I'll know later, cos I took it off yesterday and it was windy overnight - typical  ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:32 »
I've been uncharacteristically cautious this year and kept mine sitting in the tunnel in their pots. I've been watching the local forecast like a hawk, and it does look like the temps are on the turn from Wednesday onward. So on Wed I'm going to put them all out to sit on the bed and on Saturday I'll plant them out, along with the squashes, courgettes and tomatoes. At least it's given me lots of preparation time to put the finishing touches to my brand new Munty frame I'm experimenting with this year. It's the most organised my beds have ever been, first time all the nets and frames and stuff have been so well prepared :)

willp

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50 »
Mine are looking OK so far (touch wood). I made a sort of  tent by wrapping fleece around the outside of the frame to about 3ft high and that seems to have kept the worst of the weather off.  The toms have been out about a week now and like shokky, I`m watching the forecast like a hawk, up and down to the plot to fleece up, cloche or both as the weather requires.

Some courgettes have gone out - I`ve got spares if they go under. Cues, squashes and sweetcorn are only just up in the frame so I reckon I`ve got a couple of weeks grace before these need to brave the great out doors.

Will

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32 »
I was worried by the low temps/wind last week after putting mine out so did this with some Lidl cling film, am surprised it's still looking ok as of yesterday.  I don't know how it will weather, but am considering a second tier as the beans grow  ::)  Question- if I stick my cordon toms to grow up strings on the other side of the munty will they shade the beans too much?  Beans south facing.

IMG00059.jpg

Totty

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 16:41 »
I was worried by the low temps/wind last week after putting mine out so did this with some Lidl cling film, am surprised it's still looking ok as of yesterday.  I don't know how it will weather, but am considering a second tier as the beans grow  ::)  Question- if I stick my cordon toms to grow up strings on the other side of the munty will they shade the beans too much?  Beans south facing.

I would say no. Beans grow quicker and taller than outdoor toms. I thnk the general consensus is to pinch toms out at after four trusses so they shouldn't get too tall anyway.

Totty

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
40 mph winds

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2024, 17:14
by Hampshire Hog
xx
dam rain and winds

Started by Larry the lep on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:49
by Larry the lep
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 40 queries.