Belgian Fence

• 16 Replies

Neil Martin

Re: Belgian Fence
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 08:45 »
My only worry with anything more dwarfing than MM106 would be the lack of anchorage unless you plan to permanently have it on wires, but that would detract from the overall effect I feel.

Of the Malling rootstocks M26 is the smallest recommended for espaliers but is recommended to be permanently staked. MM106 is the next (readily available) size up and doesn't need staking, it is also available with a large selection of varieties if you are buying maidens.

Brilliant, thanks.  Do you have any similar recommendations for pears? :)

I know that this is an old thread but I would like to know how you got on with your Belgian fence as I am just starting mine. I also live in Scotland and have bought 9 trees to make a 20ft  Belgian fence. I have never grown trees before but had success with trainingredcurrants and gooseberries so wanted give it a go. I have bought an equal mix of apples, pears and plums. I've built my structure and am ready to plant. I now think the plums might be a mistake. They are on St Julien rootstock. In the end did you add plums to your fence? Did it work?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Belgian Fence
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 10:08 »
Unfortunately it's been a while since Trikidiki has been on the site, so I suspect you won't get a reply to your questions.  I see you've started your own thread, though, so hopefully you'll get some replies to that  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Belgian 'Lattice' Fence

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 24, 2015, 23:49
by Trikidiki
xx
Belgian fence tree selection.

Started by Neil Martin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2020, 10:18
by Gardener and Rabbit
clip
Pea Protection & Fence

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 08:04
by ally
xx
What to grow against a fence?

Started by Jowo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 11:03
by kermit

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.