settling in.

• 3 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

settling in.
« on: May 17, 2011, 18:39 »
Got my hens on Sunday, and Im well chuffed, 3 18 week olds, a Gold star, Black star and a Bluebell, and are fascinating...
I don't want to stress them too much, but I really want to start handling them, they are feeding & drinking well, seem interested in whats going on etc, even come out to see me on a morning/evening when its food time.
I want them to get used to me/being handled so I can let them free roam round the garden. 

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: settling in.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08 »
They sound lovely!

I got my girls at a similar age, and the thing that really worked for me was to let them approach me, rather than me approaching them.  So I would sit on an upturned bucket in their run and drop food on the ground around my feet.  When they got used to eating around my feet, I held the food in my hand and they started eating straight out of my hand. 

Another thing that helped was to get down low so you're not seen as a threat.   When I'm introducing my girls to new people, I encourage the person to crouch down and hold out their hand with some food in it.  The girls come running and have no fear of the new people.  If the person stands up though, the girls scatter.

Have fun making friends with your chickens, they will be a real delight.  :)

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 13:48 »
They sound wonderful, Timtheenchanter, I hope you have a great time with them.  Be prepared to want to increase your flock!  :)
I agree with Lindeggs that it is a case of trying to encourage the hens to come to you and  should come running up to you in time.  :)
Good Luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 21:22 »
Cheers, I spent a good 1/2 hr or so this eve, put their corn down just in front of me and sat on the floor, all 3 were wary at first, but within 5 mins were pecking away happily round me.

Im going to see how these go, I made the house big enough for a few more and the fixed run is only really big enough for another one or 2 max, but I have started on a "portable" run extension, although my final plan is for them to free roam my back garden, only using the enclosure at night.

xx
settling in

Started by grumpydad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 20:30
by grumpydad
xx
Settling in

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 12:40
by ANHBUC
xx
New girls settling well :)

Started by OpiumEater on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 21:03
by OpiumEater

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.