Saucepans

• 40 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Saucepans
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 22:45 »
RJR, what about a day trip to France.  I know they are cheaper over there.  I think John and Val got their Le Creusot from France years ago and said they were really cheap!   :D :D ;)

Ooh good idea!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 00:10 »
But not anytime soon with the 14 hr queues on the M20 trying to get to Dover  :ohmy:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 08:30 »
Tell me about it!! I decided to visit my parents this weekend who live in a village in between Folkestone and Dover....

The wise powers that be thought it would be a great idea to try and divert the motorway traffic through said village  :mad: (this is not what they normally do during operation stack!). A 10 minute drive from the supermarket took us over 90 minutes and they had to cancel the village fete as no one could get to it.

It was an absolute mess and disaster. Clearly done purposely by the French (at one point they only had one person working instead of 7) to make a point. However it was also handled very badly by our own police etc this time. I wish they would hurry up and build that car park!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 09:26 »
I thought that too about the French.  Trying to show us what it would be like when we are out of the EU.

Silly sods.  It will only put a lot of people off, not perhaps going to France itself, but if they were going further afield, many may now decide to fly and rent a car the other end.  Of course, I had put the bit about a day trip on here before I heard about the traffic problem.  Horrendous!  Poor people.

Anyway, bit off topic now!  Sorry RJR_38!!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 22:17 »
I love my le Creuset pans. Some of them have already given me a decade of faithful service already. They are however really, really heavy. They are fantastic for long slow cooking, gentle sautéing, searing etc but anything that you want to be able to pick up, move round or pour I find a problem. Le Creuset have come up with a solution and they have stainless steel pans which are amazing!!! I have a set for at least 8 years, they are light, cook brilliantly and despite not being non-stick (good if you are worried about the chemicals) clean fantastically, mine still look practically new despite daily use. I think in the preceding 8 years I must have bought at least 3 sets of pans that all died so although really pretty expensive mine have been worth every penny and I would expect them to last decades more.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 20:40 »
Thanks Kate! I have seen their stainless steel range. We have one stainless steel saucepan that is pretty good (no idea of the make as it doesn't say anywhere) so we will keep that but the rest need to be replaced over the next few months when I spot them at a good price!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 14:14 »
So......this post really got me thinking about my saucepans. 

I've read that Teflon nonstick coatings may not be good health-wise (particularly when old and damaged), although I'm not sure if this is true/accurate? 

Regardless, I ditched my old Tefal set (as they had seen better days, and the non-stick coating was becoming badly scored), in favour of my old Stellar set (stainless, with copper bottoms).  I now remember why I bought the Tefal in the first place  ::), as I'm finding them far too heavy for me to use them safely when full.

I like the look of the Circulon pans, but at around £60-£70 each, they're quite an investment.  My Son's partner has some Cooksmark pans, which are very light and have a ceramic nonstick interior.

I need something which will be light, nonstick, and if they are oven safe that's a bonus (but not a necessity).  Does anyone have any recommendations?

AM  :)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

snowdrops

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 14:47 »
Aunti Mogs, these are light & it's now 11 years in October

I have a set of Fagor stainless free pans that came free with my induction hob. The frying pan was coated with non stick & is on its last legs but that was because our daughter used it all the time on as high as she could get it. I like them for another 2 reasons, they have detachable handles so they stack neatly inside each other & they came with a second set of plastic lids so you can store them full in the fridge for instance. The metal lids have steam vent holes which are great for draining water etc from the contents. Oh & ive had them 10 years in october
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 17:32 »
I don't know if it's just me but my non-stick ceramic fry-pan isn't  :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 18:45 »
They look good Snowy, but unfortunately they don't seem to make them any more.  :(  How are they for sticking (I don't need a frying pan, but would like the saucepans to be nonstick)?

That's what I was concerned about Mum.  Think I may have to wait for the sales.....  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 18:47 »
They're not non stick but I can make a roux sauce or custard without it sticking, oh & gravy. On the other hand our daughter made scrambled egg on Sunday & ive soaked the pan overnight in soap powder! It's all off now 😊

xx
New saucepans

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2022, 17:53
by Lardman

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 40 queries.