new greenhouse nearly done

• 6 Replies

LILLILEAF

new greenhouse nearly done
« on: December 23, 2016, 09:50 »
We have been building a new greenhouse for 3 months,we have an 8x12 rhino,we had the concrete base done by a friend,i bet your thinking why such a long time,with me and my knackered hip (still waiting to have 2nd one done)and my husband with severe crumbling spin. :)
We have nearly done it just 4 small piece's of glass and the doors to do,we wanted to get it done for Christmas we did not quite make it but we are nearly there.
We could have paid the company to do the job,but we wanted to build it and we have.
As the weather is so windy we don't want to play with glass,it will way 400kg when finished so it will not blow away in windy wales.

oldgrunge

Re: new greenhouse nearly done
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 17:27 »
Well done you. Hope it's standing up to today's blustery weather.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 19:04 »
We have been building a new greenhouse for 3 months,we have an 8x12 rhino,we had the concrete base done by a friend,i bet your thinking why such a long time,with me and my knackered hip (still waiting to have 2nd one done)and my husband with severe crumbling spin. :)
We have nearly done it just 4 small piece's of glass and the doors to do,we wanted to get it done for Christmas we did not quite make it but we are nearly there.
We could have paid the company to do the job,but we wanted to build it and we have.
As the weather is so windy we don't want to play with glass,it will way 400kg when finished so it will not blow away in windy wales.

Well done, mines a rhino 8x10, & not in windy Wales, but it's still anchored down, it's not worth the risk!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 19:34 »
I agree. For the sake of half a dozen rag-bolts to secure it into the concrete base, not really worth the risk. I watched a neighbour's heavy-duty greenhouse get blown of its foundations and resolved it'd never happen to mine - that was 32 years ago and it is still as secure as ever

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 07:47 »
We have it anchored down in 5 places,so with luck it won't move,also its very heavy at 400kg.
We are going to make our own staging,so i know it will be the correct height,i cannot wait to get started roll on spring time,but saying that i will have plenty of seeds sewn before then

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:58 »
If it stood up to yesterday's winds you should be OK. We're not far from you in Anglesey, we look across the water to Newborough from our vantage 600 feet up the hillside!

Our first greenhouse which had toughened glass and weighed who knows what, but heavy, was bolted down. The wind rocked it and then got under. This caused the bolts to pull free and that was it. Lesson was not to just go vertically with the bolts but go at various angles. That way it can't lift.

greenhouse-damage.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 15:34 »
Built the greenhouse I use with my Dad, 40 years ago, for my grandfather. We laid a concrete foundation, laid blocks on top, then bolted and cemented the frame to that. It's still there.

xx
Greenhouse too hot?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 12:57
by mumofstig
xx
Just been given a greenhouse!

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 21:28
by Sparkyrog
xx
Greenhouse too hot

Started by businessmonkey9 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2020, 19:29
by rowlandwells
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Eblana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 09:31
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.