Smallhold Farming and Rural Living > Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

How much to pay for sheep? Whats a good price?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sparkyrog:
also your ground wants to be on the the dryer side as footrot can be a major problem ,not hard to deal with but not pleasant either .

grinling:
Someone on preloved in Lincolnshire (Grantham) are selling his sheep (ewes and ram) for £180

nuzuki:
Thanks for the replies. I was offered last year some sheep (or possibly lambs) at the cost of £35 each which after seeing your replies seems an absolute bargain. I shall contact them in the next couple of weeks and see if they can quote that again. Its a farm under 5 miles from me. Also is there any make shift ways of transporting them? Or is it best to borrow a proper livestock trailer? A couple of people in the village should allow me to borrow theirs.

If I have a dead sheep on my land do I call a company to come and collect it? I think the farmers I spoke to said its £50 a visit which just wouldnt make financial sense to me. (nacker van?)

sparkyrog - I have a concrete plinth under the field shelter but then the land does get very soggy round here due to clay. I still think given a choice of pigs vs sheep, the sheep would be a better bet for the land I have. How do you mean get into sheep breeding cheaply, do you mean get an old ewe and take the risk of whether she is still fertile? Then build up a stock from there?

Sparkyrog:

--- Quote from: nuzuki on March 08, 2013, 10:41 ---Thanks for the replies. I was offered last year some sheep (or possibly lambs) at the cost of £35 each which after seeing your replies seems an absolute bargain. I shall contact them in the next couple of weeks and see if they can quote that again. Its a farm under 5 miles from me. Also is there any make shift ways of transporting them? Or is it best to borrow a proper livestock trailer? A couple of people in the village should allow me to borrow theirs.

If I have a dead sheep on my land do I call a company to come and collect it? I think the farmers I spoke to said its £50 a visit which just wouldnt make financial sense to me. (nacker van?)

sparkyrog - I have a concrete plinth under the field shelter but then the land does get very soggy round here due to clay. I still think given a choice of pigs vs sheep, the sheep would be a better bet for the land I have. How do you mean get into sheep breeding cheaply, do you mean get an old ewe and take the risk of whether she is still fertile? Then build up a stock from there?

--- End quote ---
yes basicly sheep are aged by their teeth, old broken mouthed ewes are normally still fertile and make good mothers they just don't do as well but the lambs do .they don't have as many often either. but if you can buy lambs for £35 grabem  :)

arugula:

--- Quote from: nuzuki on March 08, 2013, 10:41 ---If I have a dead sheep on my land do I call a company to come and collect it? I think the farmers I spoke to said its £50 a visit which just wouldnt make financial sense to me. (nacker van?)

--- End quote ---

I don't think its anything like that amount for sheep, but I haven't got the figures to hand. I'll check if no-one else has got back to you on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version