Dealing with bad allotment holders.

• 55 Replies

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Dealing with bad allotment holders.
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:59 »
We had our AGM this weekend and we had a massive turn out.  The main issue was dealing with tardy plot holders.

We've made a decision to have threes strikes and out but based on the season.  Keeping in mind that the Chairman's decision is final and that special circumstances need special treatment we intend to take this approach:

Warning If you have not cleared and dug your plot by end of the first weekend In April.  (weather/season permitting).  Plot holder is given three weeks to clear the plot ready for planting to allow them to catch up with the rest of the site.

Warning If your plot is weed infested and untended for any length of time from June to end of August.  (Only special circumstances apply here). 

Warning If unused parts of the plot is not cleared/covered/dug and tidy by end of October.  (Weather & season/crops permitting).

Two warnings provided by the Allotment Society and on the third your rent is returned and your plot is given to the next person on the waiting list.

These rules will be refined by the committee as we don't want to punish members who become ill or take long holidays etc or even don't like to visit until the sun comes out. 

Have we gone too far?  Can you see any problems with this? 

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Re: Dealing with bad allotment holders.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 13:26 »
It's always a difficult one. A lot of people, like me, do not have the time to renovate a complete plot (removing perennial weeds) in a year, and so a proportion will remain uncultivated for a couple of years. I think you would be better saying what % of the plot should be under cultivation.  But even then, people should be warned where weeds have been left to seed and spread to others' plots.
Charlie

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 14:06 »

Have we gone too far?  Can you see any problems with this? 

To be honest, yes.

Unless there was obvious evidence that a plotholder was failing to cultivate their plot altogether within a 12 month period, or not up to its full potential after 3 years, then by all means reconsider their tenancy and perhaps suggest a smaller plot.  But how someone cultivates their plot should be up to them - not some rule book of when this needs to be done by and how!

My plots are always in some state of flux - as I concentrate on one (like the half plot now as I get ready for the potatoes, onions & brasscias), the other (for summer fruiting veg) gets a bit neglected until I'm ready.  Come June, the half plot will be ticking over with the odd look in while I'm planting and harvesting summer stuff, then come September, I'll be back at the half plot enjoying another harvest.  This works for me - I have plots to grow my own food and that's precisely what I'm doing while I work full time and run a house.  The plots get cultivated, but probably not the way people would rather I did it.  I'd be very upset if I got a rule book with "warning" this "warning" that - it is so unnecessary. 

You need to set a minimum standard that everyone of all ages and abilities can attain to within reason, and have a more neutral tone to the rules.  And why should it be all stick and no carrot - get a bit of fun in there.  Every June/July most of the plots on my site get a bit tarted up for the annual competition and inspection of the plots for the show ... introduce some sort of reward scheme to encourage people to try to do better.

And you want to be careful of waving the rule book about illness - some are not always obvious.  You might just cross the line of discrimination.  "Special circumstances" can be misread in so many ways and that alone reads "it's okay for them but not for you" ...!

Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 14:58 »
It's a hard call corynsboy, but sometimes you just can't stand anymore and have to make a few tough decisions. On the whole it seems fair as you're also considering people who've been ill, away on vacation, etc. If the plotholder seems to be making some attempt at clearing their land and working it then the committe should back off. If nothing seems to be done for a lengthy time and the illness/vacation factors aren't applicable, then you should give warning. It really is a shame to waste land for a year or two while deciding if the current tenant is serious or not, particularly if you've got a waiting list - which I assume is the situation here.

Parsnip

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 14:58 »
Blimey.. :ohmy: It seems a bit like the sledge hammer to crack a nut scenario. I can understand those that leave their plots in dangerous condition and or has health hazard issues having to be asked to clean up their act. But it seems a  OTT to me. It could really seek to alienate .... :(

I'm glad i'm not on your site!

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 15:03 »
I agree with painted lady  - the rules do seem a bit harsh. You might want to reconsider your classification of people with uncleared plots as "bad allotment holders".

Case in point: The old boy next to me managed some fantastic stuff this year without digging any of his plot. There were millions of weeds in there but his crops were bigger. and successful. He just hoed off the biggest ones and fed himself and his wife quite adequately. He even gave me a cabbage - not something I was able to return as it was my first year.

I hope your committee hasn't lost sight of what the site is actually for. If you want to see a "show allotment" then I suggest a visit to Wisley.

Well done for putting up this topic - quite a hot potato I suspect.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 15:14 »
Dougsta, I think the important point in your comment is that your neighbour is actively working his plot, albeit among weeds and such. A lot of people lose interest after the first round of weeding and rarely come back, if at all, which is probably what corynsboy is getting at.

Alex 98

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 15:18 »
3 strikes and out, no question
Some plots get left for a couple of years while excuses are made
 - not acceptable given waiting lists.
If people have reasons why they can't cultivate, fair enough, everyones circumstances change - but it depends on your priorities
Even in times of strife and stress we continued with our plots, we found it a godsend
Other people may have resort to TV, Sport, DIY, excercise - whatever, thats a matter of  choice
If you can't continue, give it up, get back on the waiting list and give someone else a chance

As a Letting Secretary for a large site on the outer reaches of North London - I can tell you that uncultivated plots cause more discussion and aggravation than any other related issue

So. USE IT OR LOSE IT!
And this means 12 months a year not May - September!
Don't be selfish.

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 15:53 »
Warning If you have not cleared and dug your plot by end of the first weekend In April.  (weather/season permitting).  Plot holder is given three weeks to clear the plot ready for planting to allow them to catch up with the rest of the site. what do you mean cleared and dug - what about no dig beds - what about green manures - what about using various mulches? why do all plots need to be cleared?

Warning If your plot is weed infested and untended for any length of time from June to end of August.  (Only special circumstances apply here).  what do you mean by weeds? i let comfrey and nettles grow and use as a feed, and sow plenty of wildflowers/groundcover that uneducated people might think are weeds. One person's weed is another's ground cover - see also green manures above

Warning If unused parts of the plot is not cleared/covered/dug and tidy by end of October.  (Weather & season/crops permitting). we do dig ours over, but over the Christmas hols as that's when we have time.....what do you mean unused?

So, I've got a lovely cultivated plot with beds that will eventually be no dig beds and I'd get 3 warnings by these rules. You need to think about what you are trying to achieve.

Alex 98

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 16:21 »
For any savvy committee member it would be clear as to whom was persuing a particular method of cultivation - the giveaway signs are are whenit comes to disinterested and lazy members
Raised no dig beds, great. As long as the rst of your plot is clean and tidy - its what surrounds the beds that is often the giveaway - paths, sheds, overgrown fruit etc
Just adhere to the by-laws, simple, you sign, you make a commitment.
If you can't keep it up, tough, life is that simple.

As I said - priorities, don't be in denial about it
Sky TV 200 channels - no wonder some people don't have the time or inclination.

Alex 98

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 16:30 »
Sky TV 200 channels

hey...i've got Sky don't knock it..............but i still spend time every day (weather permitting ) out on the plot...even if it's just looking and planning.

The Sky comes in handy when the weather is bad :lol: :lol:

Alex 98

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 16:42 »
No such thing as bad weather
IT'S JUST A QUESTION OF HAVING THE RIGHT CLOTHING

Ha Ha Ha ......

JulieP

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 17:22 »
I've just taken on a plot - 1/3 was used last year, so is easy to dig over.  The other 2/3 is CHEST high in grass and brambles - no way will I be able to get that cleared by the end of April - next April may be.

I think it is a bit harsh.

Luckily I'm on the end and just waistland (sorry un-tended plots) in front of me, will be giving my 2/3 a good dose of Roundup.
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 18:07 »
Of course Alex98, we all know we're meant to be out there digging with our right clothing on, when the muds sticking to our boots and we leave lovely ponds of water everywhere, does the soil a world of good... :blink:
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 18:14 »
Heres something thats relevant to this topic i found out about today.

A work collegue has an allotment and ive been asking him growing what hes doing on the his plot, to find out nothing  ??? asking him why his answer was ' im 63 now so got the plot for when i retire'

So it seems some ppl put there name down for a plot ready for when they retire, maybe thats why there are overgrown plots on my site  >:(
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
Q for Allotment holders in Kent

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 11:38
by brianc
xx
Nightmare plot holders

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

131 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:09
by Teen76
xx
How are you dealing with Greenfly?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 17:16
by strangerachael
xx
Dealing with ants

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:48
by Dr_Pepper

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 55 queries.