sloes

• 24 Replies

ciderman

sloes
« on: August 11, 2009, 17:24 »
hi all sloes do have 2 pick them after a frost  i waited last year and they had all gone the trees now are busting and they r all purpe l  but hard any info would b good cheers ciderman

cochin

Re: sloes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 17:49 »
I pick them when they are ripe - but haven't been frosted then I put them in the freezer, it's the same as if they had been frosted

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 19:22 »
At work, ours are falling off the bushes now, they are so ripe so won't be waiting until frosts  ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 21:42 »
If you get plenty of sloes don`t just limit yourself to sloe gin you can use them with vodka, whisky , bacardi , pocheen (a good one). If you were given a bottle of spirit that you are not fond of you can transform it to a sloe liqueur.
People that will not drink gin will drink sloe gin and the same happens with whisky and rum.
One way of using that bottle lurking in the drinks cabinet. :)

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 23:59 »
Was out today collecting blackberries and found two blackthorns laden with sloes. Wasn't quite sure what they were and whether to pick them or not- have done a bit of research tonight  and will be back for them tomorrow  :) Will call in at asda on the way home for the gin!!!
Seems that sloes are ripening earlier this year and that the frost thing is just to give them max time to ripen.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Harry Flashman VC

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:56 »
Went up to check the hedgerows yesterday found loads of bushes packed with sloes quite a few unripe ones but couldn't resist picking enough for a bottle full.  Only went for a look. 

One wine bottle done now will wait till the end of the month.

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 19:02 »
Do you wash the sloes thoroughly or leave the bloom on. I notice that all the recipes say to put sugar in - Is this for sweetness or is there some fermentation going on ?

Harry Flashman VC

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47 »
Theres no fermentation the sugar helps draw the juice out of the sloes.  Its up to you I didn't bother washing them last year, some say wash others say don't.

Gin turned out great

maverick

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 14:29 »
There are so many conflicting opinions on whether you should pick after the first frost or not.

I've always wanted to try making it but have seen any near me. My wife took the kids to a different park in a nearby village a few weeks ago and her mother spotted some bushes.  :)

10 days ago, I decided to pick some as I didn't want to risk going after the first frost to see that there were none left.

I washed them briefly, froze them for a few hours and mixed 1lb of sloes with either 250g or 500g of sugar (recipe in house) and topped up with 2 70cl bottles of cheap gin.

Ive been shaking it daily and having a smell. It's getting pinkier by the day and last night I noticed that the 'gin' smell seemed to have gone, so I couldn't resist trying a bit. It was fantastic  :D I can't really describe the taste (and it's early days yet), but I reckon it will be fab within a few months.

For experimental reasons, I will pick some after the first frost if there are some left so that I can compare.

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 23:58 »

For experimental reasons, I will pick some after the first frost if there are some left so that I can compare.

Making mine tomorrow  :) , but will be doing the same experiment, although will have to find some bushes off the beaten track as the ones i first found were almost stripped bare by the time i got back to them.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 19:20 »
My dear hubby opens a bottle of fizz on Christmas Eve and then proceeds to decant the various bootles with sloes and gin in. We then add a splash of sloe gin into the fizz. Needless to say that the evening becomes very mellow! I gather it's called a Sloe-gasm. (Am I allowed to say that? -''blush")

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 19:23 »
I never wash sloes, just pick out any bits of dried leaf or twiggy bits (or bugs of course  :lol:)

Sugar is essential as sloes are so bitter. Bite one and see if you never have ... everyone should try this once  ;) Carefully, mind  :ohmy:

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 16:13 »
I have picked a load of Sloes with the intention of making Sloe Gin...but noticed that the local Aldi has bottles of a clear alcohol/Sprit called Svarus... Described as a blend of premium fermented Alcohol and Spirit !

Anyway it only cost £4.49 for 70cl, so used that instead of Gin, didn't use a great deal of sugar in as it appears to be abit sweet anyway. So far after 3 days the liquad has a nice reddy colour and is beginning to taste quite nice  :)

Also, used the same stuff to make Black Sambuca with essence from the local homebrew shop...now that does taste nice  :D

Still plenty of sloes left in the freezer, so on the look out for some cheap Gin now?

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 16:25 »
The sloes up here are definitely ripe or ripening; I've one large jar of sloe gin on the go, a load of them in the freezer, waiting to be used and I've got my eye on a few more bushes near work...

my first attempt smells amazingly good but have resisted the temptation... how long do people usually let it steep for? Also, do you leave the sloes in or not... my recipe didn't specifiy (I assumed leave in.)

smileysal

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 17:08 »
I'm well chuffed I've got a tree in my garden but they're not ripe yet and the damsons seem to be taking forever too!  >:(

xx
sloes for gin.

Started by bexy on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post November 24, 2009, 21:57
by Julesanne
xx
sloes

Started by pushrod on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 16:34
by Harry Flashman VC
xx
Quick one... Are these Sloes?

Started by Bigfatsi on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 16:06
by madcat
xx
Sloes gone mushy

Started by tallulah on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 20:20
by tallulah

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 35 queries.