Greenhouse tomatoes

• 38 Replies

Sue33

Re: Greenhouse tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 10:53 »

my tomatoes are doing rubbish, both in the greenhouse and at the allotment, greenhouse ones have a few tomatoes on but are taking ages to go red, the ones at the lottie i'm still waiting to get fruit, lots of flowers though so guess it'll be a late crop, or i;ll be making lots of green tomato chutney  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 15:35 »

my tomatoes are doing rubbish, both in the greenhouse and at the allotment, greenhouse ones have a few tomatoes on but are taking ages to go red, the ones at the lottie i'm still waiting to get fruit, lots of flowers though so guess it'll be a late crop, or i;ll be making lots of green tomato chutney  :)

Always look on the bright side - green tomato chutney can be lovely but I bet you end up eating red toms when everyone elses have given up the ghost.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41 »
Went out this morning to find the toms in one greenhouse really yucky with Botrytis :ohmy:
despite trimming and leaving the doors ajar. It's just been so wet and humid lately.

Cut off all the unnecessary leaves, and anything that looked yucky..including 2 whole plants where the stem had gone soggy  :(

I now have quite a few green toms, so I think a shopping trip for vinegar, sugar and spices is called for, don't you? 
;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 14:22 »
Sorry to hear that Mum   :( (can't you ripen some, if not all, of the toms?)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 15:28 »
I now have 3 piles (of toms :tongue2:)  ripe enough, changing colour and outright green.
Today I've been making pasta sauce with the ripe ones and some courgettes,and the inbetweenies will be left to ripen...........
but I think the green ones are just toooooooo green to change, so chutney it is, for them!

I just hope that the plants that I've left in there can carry on for a bit longer, cos there are still loads out there

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 16:06 »
Went out this morning to find the toms in one greenhouse really yucky with Botrytis :ohmy:

I've been wrestling with it for weeks, don't go down without a fight MOS.  Off with anything green and leafy  ;) and keep an eye on the truss stems.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 16:20 »
Surely you can put any green ones in a dark box or empty drawer?

We always ripen the last few pounds that way, and apart from the blight year, they've  always ripened.

It doesn't matter if they really are a dark green, they'll still go red - and delicious too somehow - perhaps it's the idea of getting a few more than you thought...;0)

Headgardener22

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 17:18 »
I gave up trying outdoor tomatoes after we had blight 3years in succession. I've even had to grow blight resistant main crop potatoes which don't taste as good.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 17:22 »
My outdoor tomatoes are higher than the greenhouse and are absolutely laden. They're much better than the ones inside.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 16:10 »
Likewise -- outdoors are great, whilst those in the minipolytunnel were cleared away this morning to make space for winter salads etc.

The plants in the greenhouse at home are better, but not that good really
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ourdai

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 14:27 »
try putting green tomatoes in a drawer with a ripe banana, the ethanol produced by the banana should ripen the toms. It does work.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 00:29 »
This is true and will work even better if you leave them with the stalks attatched (on the vine" as te supermarkets call them now).
John

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 00:40 »
try putting green tomatoes in a drawer with a ripe banana, the ethanol produced by the banana should ripen the toms. It does work.

Personally I'd sooner eat them red when they are fresh. I still have a few sat sitting in the greenhouse on the plants but the flavour is "old" :tongue2:. The green ones usually end up in pickle.

(Note to me: Make time to clear the greenhouse - should have been done weeks ago!!!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 03:16 »

Ethylene actually, ethanol is pure alcohol!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 09:58 »
yes please if you're offering?  :lol:

xx
greenhouse tomatoes

Started by brrian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 08:38
by stompy
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by mikeimp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 08:58
by Totty
xx
Greenhouse Tomatoes

Started by pumpkingrower31 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 22:26
by Marcus10
xx
Tomatoes and Peppers in a greenhouse

Started by carbon337 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.