what happened - dead chick....

• 1 Replies

rosie14

what happened - dead chick....
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:54 »
Hi all got up and out to do the hens first thing and to lift Broody Orpington out of her broody nest as normal and was shocked to see a dead chick  :ohmy: It was fully formed and totally perfect from what I could see, with a little yolk around the rear end. It was of course warm and floppy because mama hen had been sitting on it still. I cleaned it out of the nest and the debris (mama was not at all worried) from the remaining 3 eggs taking care not to disturb them, then had a good old look at it and showed the children who were very fascinated (lots of questions, oh my!) Mama after a short while settled again no problem.

Just wanted to ask really as they due to hatch from this evening onwards any ideas what happened? Why was there a small amount of yolk left? Was it a bit early or could mama just have squashed it? Unlikely I feel but you guys know more than me! Any toughts welcome. When I candled them I thought only 2 of them were viable so I am really really hoping for that special one to hatch now!

Casey76

Re: what happened - dead chick....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04 »
Well it can happen that if the chick has pipped early (and if there was yolk still present, it sounds like that is what happened) the structure of the egg is then compromised, and the weight of the mom can squish the egg.  Unfortunately it can happen, especially with novice moms.

I had this happen a couple of times with first time moms.

xx
Dead hen..what happened?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 20:33
by ck2day
sad
Dead Chick

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 16:04
by Casey76
xx
One chick was dead this morning:(

Started by Missie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 10:52
by joyfull
xx
Baby chick back from being dead

Started by Mrs. Mills on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 02:25
by Mrs. Mills

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.