Growing Elephant Garlic from "Nodules"

• 5 Replies

Anguswylie

Growing Elephant Garlic from "Nodules"
« on: June 04, 2020, 15:09 »
Hi,

I had some of these, Picture attached. I'll call them "nodules" because I've no idea of the correct term. From my garlic last yer. I put them in a trough with compost and hoped they would grow.  Nothing. The cloves next to them grew, but none of the "nodules". Now I've got some more. How do I grow them?

All ideas are welcome.

20200604_143724 - 2.jpg

Mr Dog

Re: Growing Elephant Garlic from "Nodules"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 15:53 »
I grew them by just sticking them into compost in modules and waiting. They took a while to get going but produced good strong plants in the end. They've been planted out around my gooseberries in an attempt to keep sawfly away. I'm not sure they'll produce big bulbs/cloves this year but I'll be having a look when they go over.

timdunn

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 15:59 »
I had exactly the same outcome from planting my nodules in pots in November, then leaving in greenhouse for 6 months. I dug them all up but no sign of life. I wonder if it’s the really thick skin they have around them? Might try again this year and remove half of their ‘jackets’.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 16:14 »
From cloves that you grew last year, or from bulbils that form on the flower head? The bulbils are a completely different story.....
For cloves, I just stick some of back in the ground after mine are harvested, the first year they tend to grow just a single 'bulb' like a fat leek bottom. For most of them, it isn't 'til the 2nd year that they split into huge cloves like proper elephant garlic.
If you leave some cloves in the ground each year you can end up with a perennial elephant garlic patch, if you're lucky  :D

Anguswylie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 16:39 »
mumofstig
...or cloves, I just stick some of back in the ground after mine are harvested, the first year they tend to grow just a single 'bulb' like a fat leek bottom. For most of them, it isn't 'til the 2nd year that they split into huge cloves like proper elephant garlic. ...

Does this mean Elephant Garlic is effectively a Bi-annual, rather than an annual?

What happened to the "Bulbils?

Thanks.

timdunn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 00:36 »
From cloves that you grew last year, or from bulbils that form on the flower head? The bulbils are a completely different story.....
For cloves, I just stick some of back in the ground after mine are harvested, the first year they tend to grow just a single 'bulb' like a fat leek bottom. For most of them, it isn't 'til the 2nd year that they split into huge cloves like proper elephant garlic.
If you leave some cloves in the ground each year you can end up with a perennial elephant garlic patch, if you're lucky  :D
They are not bulbils but small ‘mini cloves’ that grow around the bulb. About the size of a crocus bulb and darker, and thicker skinned, than the cloves within the main bulb.

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 20:39
by tosca100
xx
Anyone had any luck growing "balcony" fruit trees in pots

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:14
by chrisnchris
xx
New Boy on the block. Weird "mushrooms" growing in my pots.

Started by hermes on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 19:22
by Yabba

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 38 queries.