Hardening off

• 5 Replies

debih

• Experienced Member
Hardening off
« on: May 25, 2011, 22:18 »
Can someone tell me how important it is to harden off plants that have been sitting in my unheated polytunnel.

I planted some cabbages and cauli's out today and had completely forgotten to harden them off.

I have French beans to put out next week and wondered how imperative it is to put them outside of the polytunnel before they go in the allotment. 

If it is imperative how long should I be doing it for.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardening off
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 22:23 »
There will have been a sheltered microclimate in the polytunnel and it will be a shock for the plants to go straight outside - more so for the beans because they are not hardy plants, whereas the brassicas don't need so much pampering.

I usually allow at least a week to harden off my plants from indoors, but that is probably a slightly warmer environment.  Put them outside during the day but back indoors at night for several days minimum, then outside in a sheltered location for similar period, then they should be OK to plant out.

Keep an eye on overnight temps for the beans - less than 10*C and they will sulk.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gandan57

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09 »
I sowed runner beans in large pots on 31st March. They were left in the conservatory until they germinated and then went outside and were only brought in if the temp was due to drop lower than 8 degrees C at night.

They were planted out on the plot about two weeks ago when they were four feet high on mini wigwams. On the very same day my neighbour was planting his runners out. They had been grown individually in small pots in his greenhouse and had got leggy, but he only put them outside to harden off  for two days.

Now, two weeks on, with all the wind we`ve had, mine are still green and almost six feet high, his are yellow, with obvious signs of wind scorch, looking pretty sick and are not much higher than when planted out.

Only difference has been the hardening off process.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 13:26 »
Thanks for that.  I will start putting them out from tomorrow.

Does it matter if it rains whilst they are out hardening off?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 14:10 »
Rain is fine (well, torrential rain may flatten then!)

Keep them out of strong wind (or bring them in), and bring then in if it is cold - I put mine out late-morning to start with if the morning is a bit chilly, and bring them in earlier, and then put out earlier / bring in later, and then leave out overnight if the forecast is for a mild night.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 14:12 »
no that's one of the things the plant needs to get used to!

but I'd be wary of leaving them out on a cold & rainy or very windy day at the beginning of their hardening off period..it might frighten them half to death!

snap..sort of

xx
Hardening Off ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 10:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Hardening off

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 14:34
by rogertb
xx
hardening off

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 21:51
by sunshineband
xx
Hardening Off

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 20:32
by peapod

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 36 queries.