which breed of dog is good with chickens

• 11 Replies

Bubbles

which breed of dog is good with chickens
« on: August 20, 2010, 22:48 »
We have three hens (and two cats). we'd like to get a dog or a puppy. has anyone any good suggestions as to which breed is most tolerant to chickens and is it best to get a puppy or a rescue dog. we have no experience with keeping dogs!

massa

• Experienced Member
Re: which breed of dog is good with chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 23:04 »
hi, im no expert but i think that its down to the individual dog and how it has been brought up and socialized. i have seen agresive dog breeds that have been soft as brushes and friendly dog breeds which have had issues and been agressive (my dog an 18 month old lab) is soft as a brush but when i first got my chicks he was very interested in them i dont think he would hurt them intentionally but he wanted to play and his play would be far to rough so we had to keep an eye on him until they were not new and exciting! i thi nk any dog that is introduced to chooks in the right way and from an early age (before they can get issues) will be fine, you would be better looking at what dog would best suit you and your lifestyle ie temprement, amount of exercise required, size etc.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:50 »
We have dogs (3), chickens (9) and a cat! All get on really well, although the cat did stalk
the two chicks when they were very little!

Dogs don't bother the chickens at all, they know they are part of the pack. Pigeons are
fair game tho!

We have two border collies and one collie x lab.

I would have a squeezy bottle filled with water when you introduce the chickens and puppy. I would think the chicks will have the upper hand, but if pup gets a little more than inquisitive, a little squirt will distract it.
Good luck, dogs are great for guarding chucks. Mine were prowling around the chuck run after we'd had an overnight fox attack, and now INSIST they check out the chuck run before bed. They've scented the boundaries - I assume to let the foxes know they have company/competition.

Labs/spaniels are soft mouthed - for retrieving game without damaging it. Their prey sequence has the 'kill' inhibited (theoretically!).
Terriers have a very strong prey sequence, and have 'kill' as their main aim - which is why they are good for ratting etc.
Collies prey sequence is truncated to 'nip', so hopefully they will just round your chickens up.

Look at what the dog was bred to do. That research should help your decision.
hope that helps

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:21 »
I would agree that it is more about how you introduce the puppy to the chickens.  Although I have every sympathy with trying to rehome rescue dogs I feel that for your first dog a rescue dog is not a good idea.  I would choose a puppy.  find one where you can see it with the mother then you have an idea of the mother's temperament and the home conditions.  It is very tempting just to go for the first one you see!  Your local vet will probably have a puppy training class or will be able to put you in touch with one.  You need to aim that it grows up seeing you as "pack leader" and the chickens as part of "the pack".
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:36 »
I agree with Bantamnovice - its really important that you do your research and prep before getting a dog, if you have never had one before.

Knowing where it has come from, and the temperament of the parents is very important. So is training! Some people think you just do puppy training for six weeks, and you have the perfect dog. Not so! They need constant reinforcement and stimulation. We still take our oldest training every week (nearly 10). You can teach old dogs new tricks, and they love it. Start off that way, and you will have a happy dog, less prone to 'issues', because you have spent the time (every day/week/year) giving it a job to do. Boredom is what causes most problems in dogs.

If you introduce your dog/pup to your chickens and have firm ground rules in place when you do so, you can prevent all sorts of disasters! Its also vistal that every member of the family know these rules, and consistently apply them.

Have you got children?  Its much like having another one....and you need to have the same sort of boundaries in place - otherwise your kids and dogs will rule the roost! (not the chucks :tongue2:)

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:02 »
I agree i would get a puppy, I have got 3 dogs 2 westies and a yorkshire terrier. They all get on very well with the girls. It takes time and patience and the introduction has to be done carefully but it is worth it in the end.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 13:47 »
I have a 9 month old female Lab, no chickens (they come tomorrow woo-hoo), but she is really gently with my 6 month old boy and harasses the cat, but never hurts her, more just wants to play. I think I'll be able to let the chickens roam free range eventually, once Maisy has accepted them and got a bit bored. Different dog breeds have different temprements, no good getting one that was once bred for hunting, ratting etc. A working dog is probably your best bet, lab, collie, but on the flipside, they need LOADS of excercise and stimulation, or they'll destroy your house and be miserable.
Will it be left all day while you're at work, if the answer is yes, then I wouldnt get a dog at all, but if there's going to be someone around most of the day, every day, then you sould be fine.
Just remember, dogs stay puppies for 2 years minimum and are hard work but worth it in the end. Train, train, and train some more....says me...Maisy does exactly as she pleases if the mood grabs her  ::)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 17:03 »
I introduced my border/lakeland when she was a pup. As she tried to play with the chicks they told her off and she has a healthy respect for them. She has grown up to be a 'proper' terrier with all their chase and kill instincts but leaves the chooks alone. Even when I raised chicks in the house she was an angel with them. However, I would never leave her with them on her own - you never know! And all dogs are different just like people. Cavaliers are very placid but not very bright (sorry if you own one but my friends with Cav's would agree!) and I know ones that I would not like left in my run, then again they were not brought up with them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Junie

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 21:06 »
I have a JRT who now looks after the chooks, he did try to catch one once after the boys were chasing them but he was soon aware that that should not be done, however, he does distinguish ducks and guinea fowl, he sees them as fair game, and it has been impossible to stop him chasing the ducks although they are on our lake and not really attached to the house or nearby land. 
He was a refuge dog and we sat with him and the chickens, petting them both, and apart from copying the boys one time.  Many people on the JRT website have a great deal of difficulty with their JRT's though.  I agree it does depend on the individual dog, but terriers have an inbuilt desire to chase and trap. so probably not a good plan

SVC

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:02 »
I have 2 rescued border collies and neither of them have paid any attention to my chickens - they will all quite happily be loose in the garden together.  Both dogs were scared of people though!  I agree with previous posts in that I think it is totally down to the individual dog and not so much the breed.

parks1

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 12:06 »
We have always had labs, our oldest girl who died last year was brilliant with our pet rabbits, never made a move.  But our two labs now both, 5 have more of the natural instinct in them.  Neither bother at all with the chickens whilst they are in their own area (they have a large free range area fenced off in the garden).  However this morning disaster struck when one bold chicken managed despite clipped wings to fly out and explore the rest of the garden.  Very quickly before we could do anything, one caught and killed the chicken.
Please note both our labs are absolute softies and indeed are soft mouthed, if they actually come across a dead animal out on walks they do not then attack but would bring to us. 
At the end of the day dogs are dogs so don't think that any breed is going to be 100% safe depends on the individual nature rather than particular breed.

Bubbles

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 22:52 »
Thank you for all your replies, it has given us some extra points to think about. I'm encouraged that your dogs all seem to respect the hens - sorry to hear about your loss though, Parks1.

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Anyone know good egg layers & really tame chook breed?

Started by sarahc on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:41
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Which breed of chickens to get..

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 23:16
by chickadee11
clip
what breed are my chickens?

Started by Aliparty on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 18:40
by joyfull

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.