snuffles

• 3 Replies

treecol

snuffles
« on: March 28, 2009, 14:27 »
Hi, new here (obviously) have been reading the forum, enjoyed it, and have just got our first hens (warrens). They are on their first lay and have come from a covered run into our garden, to range free. Just noticed this morning after first wek with us, one hen is a bit snuffly when I picked her up. No sneezing, no nazal discharge, still bright and laying as before. Is there treatment for this, should I wait and see what happens.. many thanks if you can help. Didn't realise how lovely these girls would be and now I'm worried!!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: snuffles
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 14:47 »
Sorry your girl is not on top form and I don't have any helpful advice but thought I would say Hi and welcome to the Hen House. :D

Sure someone clever will be along shortly.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 15:20 »
Hi treecol. Hello from me too. :)

It may clear up on its own but could be infectious. Unfortunately, like Kate, I'm not experienced with snuffly hens.
If you can separate her from teh others temporarily, just in case, it would be a good idea but can't say for sure.
You can check if she has a raised temperature by feeling under her wing, next to her body. Compare her to the others. If she's raised at all, she may need anti-biotics from a vet. If she's seems normal, it may just be no more than a snuffle and she'll be fine.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 16:54 »
Hi treecol
Welcome to the Hen House :D

It could be that the stress of moving house has fetched on a bit of a snuffle, I have had this happen :)
Take's a day or two to show it's self but soon settles down :)

Might be an idea to pop some apple cider vinegar in their water helps with congestion :)

Sarah :D

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.