Roma tomatoes

• 39 Replies

jambop

Re: Roma tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 09:30 »
You've got a good memory Growster  :D

How I used to dry mine in Greece....
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=121540.msg1432473#msg1432473

oh how I miss those long hot summers, specially when we get grey days like today *sigh*  ::)
Yes nice warm days are nice but I am sure you remember days in Greece when the heat was so fierce a cool day was welcomed? Where we stay it does not get as hot as Greece , I don't think, but there are times when we get a heatwave that takes normal summer days that should be 30C and blasts them up to 45C have a few weeks like that over the last few summers. We are having a similar dip in temperature to what you seem to be having it was 37C last week and yesterday was only 21C it is about to start to climb again though. Personally I would rather have 25C than 35C .
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:31 by jambop »

jambop

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 09:41 »

oh how I miss those long hot summers, specially when we get grey days like today *sigh*  ::)
A very interesting thread that lots of good ideas. Last year we had a lot of Aubergines at the end of the season and I made some marinated and preserved in good olive oil with lots of different additions one was sun dried tomato... I have to say all were really good but the jars I added the tomato to really were amazing... we are just using the last couple of jars now. Easy to make no heat treatment needed and they keep for months.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 15:29 »
I was interested to read this thread because this is my first year at growing tomatoes in a greenhouse. I have two Roma plants and growing them as bushes with no pinching out - because that is how I understood they were supposed to be grown. They are fruiting just fine, although pretty unruly as they are in growbags alongside cordon tomatoes and trying to take over! I just gently move and redirect the stems where necessary.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 17:27 »

A very interesting thread that lots of good ideas. Last year we had a lot of Aubergines at the end of the season and I made some marinated and preserved in good olive oil with lots of different additions one was sun dried tomato... I have to say all were really good but the jars I added the tomato to really were amazing... we are just using the last couple of jars now. Easy to make no heat treatment needed and they keep for months.

A recipe would be greatly appreciated (especially the version with sundried tomatoes!).  Could you post here please?  I think there is a recipe section.  Thank you!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 12:41 »
I am trying a new plum tommy this year. Seeds Direct's Amish Paste and they are looking really good, massive plums, far bigger than the owd San Marzano, just hope they taste good.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 13:38 »
Do you have any problems ripening ‘up north’, Aidy ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 19:55 »
Do you have any problems ripening ‘up north’, Aidy ?

Nah, we have lots of sun Aunty  ;)
Seriously its rare we have any problems, in fact in decades gone by Blackpool tomatoes were famous on the markets etc, sadly very few growers are around now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 20:05 »
Are you sure your north is the same north that I’ve been to, Aidy ?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 20:14 »
I am trying a new plum tommy this year. Seeds Direct's Amish Paste and they are looking really good, massive plums, far bigger than the owd San Marzano, just hope they taste good.
When I tried them, they were tasty and huge, but there weren't that many of them :( So I've not grown them again, hope you have better luck ;)

jambop

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 11:34 »
The problems you face growing tomatoes like San Marzano, is that they are a variety that is at home growing on the slopes around the foothills of Vesuvius near the bay of Naples , not around the bay of Blackpool. I am at an advantage to you when it comes to growing these tomatoes ... and I cannot get the conditions that they grow best in, and therefore they are not as good as those grown in Italy... that is before you even bring the effect of terroir into the equation. For that reason I think you will struggle to grow a good owd San Marzano tomato anywhere in the UK.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 14:45 »
You are probably right Jambop... but we Brits do love a challenge.

Let’s us know how the do, Aidy  :D

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2020, 15:08 »
I'm very happy watching our 'San Marzano' thrive in Kent conditions, in pots of soil and compost, fed every other day, and the only reference to Italy we have is a chat I had with Mrs Growster an hour ago, over a lunchtime embrocation, was how much we enjoyed our Italian hols all those years ago!

We have a very special area here, which is South-facing, enclosed by an ancient brick wall, and sheltered from the wind.

The toms just love it! ...I wonder if they know where they are...

;0~

jambop

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 17:13 »
For the avoidance of doubt I am not saying you cannot grow them... I am saying they will not be as good as the tomatoes grown in their homeland in the soil in which the have affinity and the dry med conditions. I grow them here quite well, but they are not as good because we just do not get the consistent warmth and sunshine that they get in the fields in Italy. If it was not for BM I doubt I would get a good crop at all it is far too wet here and they would be blighted. I just like someone in the north of the UK suffer badly from the influence Atlantic ocean, maybe even more so we get 30% greater rainfall than Blackpool for example, but I definitely do usually have the advantage of a long  warm summer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 17:26 »
Well my opinion, for what it is worth, is that life is too short to be splitting tomato pips.  Even if what you grow is not quite as good as it would be grown in its homeland, if it crops, it tastes good and you are happy with it, that is what matters.

My toms are from all over - 1 from the Ukraine, another an American variety.  They are still way, way better than anything I can buy, are never sprayed with anything and freshly picked as needed  :)

xx
Roma tomatoes

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 14:28
by jambop
xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
xx
Roma Tomatoes

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 15:06
by compostqueen
xx
Incas and Roma

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 11:47
by tosca100

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 56 queries.