need advice quickly

• 39 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

need advice quickly
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 18:38 »
Also sounds like Vit B (of which niacin is one) problem to me as my books also really concentrate on Niacin deficiencies in realation to leg problems although calcium can be a problem. Most grain and feed is high in vit E so it would surprise me although I am not an expert. Apparently ducklings usual source is insects but marmite has some in it. I used Lifeguard tonic in their water which gives the required concentration of niacin plus others which is a little pricy but I've had no problems. Of course it might not have made any difference at all. :lol:
You can get it in tablet form from a chemist or health shop and dilute it in water (its also called Vit B3 or niacinamide)

Good luck
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

need advice quickly
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 21:00 »
Oops, have just realised that when I did my maths the figures I have are for mg/l and not gallons so would not fulfill all their requirements, especially for treatment once established. Sorry :oops:

dawne

need advice quickly
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43 »
Update:

Went to the farm shop and got a soluble vitamin pack, this morning (although it could be wishful thinking) it appears that there is more strength in the legs as the duck is able to balance now whereas before it just kept falling over, still has the hobble on but the shoes came off!

After observing closely and thinking back to what had occured, I think it probably is a defficiancy although of what I dont know. The duck was fine when it was born, waddling around with the others then gradually got worse, one other duck which is not so badly affected is also being given the vits, he just has a problem with one leg, which is the same leg as the other duckling first had a problem with. This is why I think it may be a defficiency as there seems to be a pattern of events.
Fingers crossed they continue to make progress, dont want to think of the alternative now that we have become buddies :D

Vember

need advice quickly
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49 »
Sounds good Dawn,

Will still keep finger crossed for you,

please keep us updated :)

Sarah:)

dawne

need advice quickly
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32 »
Ok everyone, this morning I made that dreaded decision, they were not improving any further and so the time had come. As I write this I have tears welling up :cry:
I think that what I have most learnt is that a quick cull once you realise it is sick is probably better than getting attached and putting off the inevitable.

Thank you so much for all the advice, we are moving to a smallholding in the next couple of weeks so no doubt you will hear a lot more from me!!

Dawn xx

Lemon

need advice quickly
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 08:48 »
So sorry to hear about your loss.  A very brave and commendable decision made there Dawn!

Good luck with the smallholding - what do you plan to raise there?  Will you be totally self-sufficient?
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

poultrygeist

need advice quickly
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53 »
That's a really tough call. Very brave of you but such a shame it didn't improve.  :(

You'll make alot of people jealous with your smallholding. All the best with it and don;t forget to post photos.  :)

Rob 8)

Vember

need advice quickly
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 10:41 »
Really sorry to hear about the duckling Dawne  :cry:

Sometimes these things are best done,
you might've found you'd have had more problems further down the line

Well done for being able to reach decision and do

Sending big Hugs,

Looking forward to hearing all about the smallholding & seeing photo's :D

Sarah :)

dawne

need advice quickly
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20 »
Thanks for all your support everyone really appreciated.

The smallholding adventure is one we are really looking forward to. There are 7 stables so the primary income will be from DIY livery but the rest is up to us. We hope to become self sufficient eventually, I am a qualified organic gardener so that bit is no problem, its the larger animals that will all be new to us and things like paddock maintainence, hay making, solar energy etc,etc,etc. Great challanges ahead, and a few laughs thrown in for good measure :lol:

Dawn xx

Kate and her Ducks

need advice quickly
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15 »
Really sorry the ducklings didn't get better and well done on a really horrible decision. Hope you have more luck in the future and keep us all up to date with how things get on

xx
hatching concern-advice needed quickly

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 13:26
by Casey76
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
advice please

Started by darren the gardener on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:48
by Tony H
xx
One not well - advice please

Started by pacman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 09:21
by Sassy

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 34 queries.