Advice needed please. Is it just my hens .....

• 18 Replies

Sassy

Re: Advice needed please. Is it just my hens .....
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 09:10 »
I think they get like spoilt children, the more you fuss over them the more noise they make.

Mine have been a bit noisier lately but that is because they are starting to lay again after being in moult.  Just the normal bok, bok telling everyone how clever they are.
You hit the nail on the head there! Going to have to be cruel to be kind new I think, coop door will now open at 7.15, no more treats in the morning and will try not to go out o them when they are noisey, will see how it goes!

It isn't ideal to feed treats in the morning as you want them to eat their balanced food first not fill up on treats. So you are not being cruel :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 14:45 »
I think they get like spoilt children, the more you fuss over them the more noise they make.

Mine have been a bit noisier lately but that is because they are starting to lay again after being in moult.  Just the normal bok, bok telling everyone how clever they are.
You hit the nail on the head there! Going to have to be cruel to be kind new I think, coop door will now open at 7.15, no more treats in the morning and will try not to go out o them when they are noisey, will see how it goes!

It isn't ideal to feed treats in the morning as you want them to eat their balanced food first not fill up on treats. So you are not being cruel :)

Oh I know that only too well, it was a mistake we made as the treats kept them quiet in the mornings but to be honest they haven't even noticed they haven't had them and actually looked like they enjoyed their greens more this afternoon.

Today they squawked from about 6.30 but it was muffled so didn't respond to it, their door opened and there was quietness, they seem a lot happier since coming out into their run as the sun is coming up rather than going out in the dark. They will just have to adapt to coming out later and see how it goes, has been so nice though not having to run out in my dressing gown and wellies trying to make them quiet ( it is so quiet here that a pin dropping sounds like thunder)
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 07:40 »
So glad I put this post up when I did. In just a week they have gone from annoying noisy birds to being quiet lovely birds.
I really think it was the darkness that was making them noisy as now they come out just as the sun (!) comes up and can see their food so don't squawk for it.

I am a happy bunny now!

Thanks for all your advice and apply Christmas
 :blink:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 21:17 »
I was always told not to feed my pets before myself otherwise they will rule your life.  I guess it works for chickens as well.   :blink:  Hope they keep behaving in the New Year.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Advice Needed New Hens

Started by scampy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 15:06
by scampy
xx
Introducing Hens - Advice Needed!

Started by Burtie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 22:14
by babe
xx
More advice needed on keeping hens

Started by rugbymad40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 23:15
by muntjac
xx
Integrating new hens - advice needed

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.