cockerel attacking us

• 14 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
cockerel attacking us
« on: March 31, 2008, 16:24 »
Hi all. I'm now up to 13 hens and a Maran cockerel that was given to us. He's been with the birds since the start but is now attacking us when we go in the run. Our friend says he wants attention and to pick him up for a cuddle???? Is this a wind up? does anyone else have this experience or know of a remedy. The last thing I need is a bird with ADD  :lol: . I'm on hols in Turkey at moment so I might take a day or two to pick up your replies. Thanks

Bodger

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 17:36 »
You could try and pick him up at night time off his perch and cuddle him to quieten him down or you could look for a good Turkish cookery book while you are away. :D

Vember

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 17:36 »
I've heard of people picking the bird up for a cuddle to stop aggresion, apparentley they're so shocked that you don't run off, scream at it etc that it stops attacking you.

But i've never needed to do it so can't say if it works or not  :?:

Sorry, hope you get it sorted & enjoy your Hols :)

mambo

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 18:03 »
I had this with Itchy and followed Katie Thear's advice from her 'Starting with Chicken's' Book.

Try playing him at his own game and when he sides up to you stamp your feet, jump sideways and hold your elbows out. This sounds mad but does work as you are establishing dominance over him. Also, pushing his back down has a similar effect. Make sure you are wearing tough jeans, wellies and gloves to protect yourself if he his likely to attack you. If you are nervous about this you can go in the run armed with a dustbin lid to shield yourself. It took me some time, but Itchy eventually calmed down.

Alternatively you can try the OH approach which is to squirt him with a hose pipe and eat chicken nuggets in front of him! Now that got Itchy REALLY scared!

Mambo

jack russell

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 18:34 »
Is it not that time of year :shock:  my two in separate run have been doing the same recently and the old fella next to me said he is protecting his girls :twisted: I really think he is right but hopefully munty will pop in to put us in the picture  :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

babe

• elvis king of chooks
cockerel attacking us
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 18:35 »
always go for the cuddle option.

mine all get a cuddle every night when i tuck them in  :oops:

NormandyMary

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 19:42 »
My Ruby just loves a cuddle, and today when I was feeding them, she perched herself on my arm. I dont know if it was for food or a stroke. Id love to think the latter, but Ive got more sense!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
cockerel attacking us
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 20:39 »
sorry its not a cuddle he wants he finks ur after his girls ,squirt him with a squeesy bokkle full water every time he comes near ya  :lol:

noshed

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 22:04 »
Munty!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

agapanthus

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 22:07 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
sorry its not a cuddle he wants he finks ur after his girls ,squirt him with a squeesy bokkle full tare every time he comes near ya  :lol:

What makes you think it was Muntjac that wrote that instead of Grannieannie :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  Granny had'nt logged out so Munt inadvertantly replied to this.  :lol:

agapanthus

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 22:09 »
Meant to say that I've heard that if you can get to the cockerel and squash him to the floor and keep him there for 5 or so minutes every so often through the day he should start giving you more respect and hopefully not attack you.

muntjac

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07 »
and the squeesy bottle werks  :tongue2:
still alive /............

jack russell

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:54 »
a cuddle  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: i would like to see you get a cuddle out of the cock when he is in this  frame of mind  :twisted:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  a cuddle :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

cockerel attacking us
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 14:54 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Meant to say that I've heard that if you can get to the cockerel and squash him to the floor and keep him there for 5 or so minutes every so often through the day he should start giving you more respect and hopefully not attack you.

If I was that cockerel, I'd knock the bejeebuz out of you the next time I got the chance. :lol:

upthetump

• Experienced Member
cockerel attacking us
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 15:45 »
thanks all, i tried the hose once and that scared the proverbial out of him. The squeezy bottle sounds good, although, if he is too much if a handful then a coq-au-vin is beckoning. Weather in Turkey not great but warmer than home. all the best.

xx
hen and cockerel attacking?

Started by mias chooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:04
by joyfull
xx
Cockerel attacking.

Started by chloe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 10:59
by gsc
xx
Cockerel attacking

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 11:38
by Roughlee Handled
xx
My cockerel is attacking my hens ... help !

Started by SEB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 20:25
by alan42

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.