silly question time again!

• 5 Replies

markp76

silly question time again!
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:47 »
Right after clearing beds last year and this im left with a rather large pile of upturned couch grass on my plot, i was wondering if i covered it over with weed membrane would i be able to plant through it with something such as strawberrys or even courgettes as they tended to take up a lot of room last year? If not any other suggestions as to what i could do?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: silly question time again!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:13 »
Burn it or if your council collect garden waste from your home put it out for them.
Large compost operation work at a high temperature so this will not cause a problem for them. 

markp76

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:17 »
burn it lol there must be a ton plus of the * and soil included in it {upside down sods of earth} the bare roots left in the plot ive picked out have been burnt but what to do with the rest..................................

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37 »
If you can submerge it in water for a few weeks that will kill the roots, and then you can use the liquid as a plant tonic  - the "soil" will be pretty rank by then, but it will recover if stacked, or added in thin layers to compost heap through the summer.

Couch roots are strong, they won't die easily ... although covering with plastic etc. to exclude light will probably do the trick.

markp76

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 13:38 »
not a chance of submerging that much under water, id need at least coniston water to chuck it in if not windermere lol, but thanks for the advice non the less, we occasionally have a jcb come on site {working farm} so might get them to scoop it up out of the way at some stage in the future so i can get some more baed space as its growing by the day standing at 7ft X 4ft X 31/2ft

gillie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 13:59 »
If the heap is in the sun I think you are in with a chance of growing a courgette or two on it.  I would not try strawberries as the runners will cause trouble.

Certainly cover the heap with weed suppressant fabric, but before you do so hollow out the middle so that you can water the courgettes without the water pouring off the mound.

We have dealt with couch on several occasions.  Beware of it spreading out from the heap into your productive beds, but it dies out if stacked as you have done.  We also discovered that it will not stand up to being mown like a lawn.

xx
silly question time

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 23:48
by frazzy
xx
Silly question time!

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 15:58
by ianl
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Next silly question...

Started by snooziebunny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 22:06
by snooziebunny

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 36 queries.